CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC (http://www.camheads.org/index.php)
-   Stinger Series CNC Routers (http://www.camheads.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   "Steps" in profile issue (http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=8681)

Load-Ready 10-19-2017 06:37 PM

"Steps" in profile issue

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and to CNC work, so I apologize in advanced if some of my terminology isn't spot on. I have attached three pictures of the steps I am talking about. "IMG 1" is of the left side of the sheet I cut the piece out of, IMG 2 and 3 are of the right side of the piece I cut out. This initially started happening when some material I was cutting wasn't clamped down securely and got pulled up on to the bit which caused very excessive vibrations. I talked to Michael at Camaster and he instructed me to check the set screws on gears on the X axis transmission. That helped a little but we still ended up ordering a brand new transmission because the issue was still there. Even after the new X axis transmission the problem proceeded. I then took both Y axis transmissions apart, tightening the same set screws and generally going over everything looking for any obvious issues but found nothing. The X axis seems to wander slightly to the right (X positive) after each pass. The placard says we have a stinger, model number PT-404, yet the front of the control panel says Panther. So I'm not too sure exactly what machine we have, it has a 4x4 cutting capacity. We could use all the help we can get so thank you in advance for the advice.

crosetti 10-19-2017 08:00 PM

the control panel for my stinger says Cobra, that's just advertising Camasters latest product I thought, though reading other replies it seems as if I'm wrong.

It looks like the stepper motor is losing steps somewhere. My stinger does this once in a blue moon, but never repeatedly. I chalked it up to static electricity or trying to run it too fast. There are far better educated people than I on this board who will chime in...

It might be an optical illusion, but in the 3rd picture it seems as if the radius of the corners are different in the two "steps". Are you mistakenly cutting 2 toolpaths?

Kyle Stapleton 10-20-2017 11:09 AM

You need to tell a lot more info.
What is your Feed rate x,y and z?
What is your depth of cut?
What are you cutting?
What bit are you using?
What are your RPMs?
Are you cutting climb or conventional?

Charlie_L 10-20-2017 11:55 AM

I would start reading Gary's post on static discharge prevention.
http://camheads.org/showthread.php?t=8650

mike.davison 10-20-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Load-Ready (Post 69952)
The placard says we have a stinger, model number PT-404, yet the front of the control panel says Panther.

Mmmmm.... A PT-404 is a Panther. The 4x4 Stinger is an SR-44. Does 'placard' mean the computer screen? If so, it sounds like your WinCNC configuration needs at least one correction as what you see on the screen is highly configurable. Since this is a new machine it would be wise to speak to CAMaster support about, at least, correcting the WinCNC configuration.

Load-Ready 10-24-2017 12:09 AM

Wow, sorry guys, I was checking the wrong email for notifications from this thread. Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Stapleton (Post 69964)
You need to tell a lot more info.
What is your Feed rate x,y and z?
What is your depth of cut?
What are you cutting?
What bit are you using?
What are your RPMs?
Are you cutting climb or conventional?

I have been playing with the Feed rate and the issue happens no matter the rate. These pictures are of type 1 PVC. Pass depth is usually .05 with a 1/4" end mill. RPM's are 15,000 with 80 IPM for x/y and 10 for z. I have been experimenting with feed rates, rpm's and all those parameters to see how it will affect my issue and the overall cut quality. The "steps" are persistent no matter the parameters.

Load-Ready 10-24-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike.davison (Post 69966)
Mmmmm.... A PT-404 is a Panther. The 4x4 Stinger is an SR-44. Does 'placard' mean the computer screen? If so, it sounds like your WinCNC configuration needs at least one correction as what you see on the screen is highly configurable. Since this is a new machine it would be wise to speak to CAMaster support about, at least, correcting the WinCNC configuration.

The placard is on the back left hand corner of the CNC's frame. It contains the model, serial number and other things pertaining to that specific CNC. I looked at Camaster's website because I was confused about the model, but the placard clearly says "Stinger" and PT-404 right underneath it. This machine is not new, by the way. Our company purchased it second hand.

Load-Ready 10-24-2017 12:14 AM

Also, for anyone else wondering, half of this profile was done with an 1/8" end mill and the bottom half of it was done with a 1/4" end mill. That is why you can see a difference in the steps size half way through the cut.

Gary Campbell 10-24-2017 12:17 AM

If you have eliminated all mechanical causes, then the cause id most likely static.

You may want to try a single "O" flute bit at your current feeds and speeds and possibly double or triple the pass depth

I also suggest that you post a picture of how your dust collection is attached to your machines dustfoot.

Load-Ready 10-24-2017 12:22 AM

When I get to the shop in the morning I will make sure to get a picture of the dust collector setup. Does it make sense to disconnect the dust collector and see if the steps are still there? We haven't taken any steps to dissipate static yet.