CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers

Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Y Axis Problem

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone might be able to help me. I was moving my Stinger 1 on the y axis today and I noticed that it wasn't stopping where it should be. If I wanted it to go to Y5, it is actually going to Y5 3/16. Then Y10 is going to Y10 7/16. Then y48 is going to 50 1/4.

The X axis is just fine. I've not tested it yet, but I can only assume if I route a circle it's going to be move of an oval if it's moving by that much. When I look at wincnc, it's showing the circle on 48, but when I measure from the edge of the table it's actually at 50 1/4".

It seems everything is ok underneath. I've read where people say it could be the driver.

It is quite frustrating and setting me back. I wanted to see if anyone knew what it could be before I call Camaster Support tomorrow morning.

Thank you in advance,
Brad Wriedt
Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Camaster Owner

Brad,

If I were in your situation here are a couple things that I would check before giving Camaster a call in the morning.

1) Make sure that the set screws on the spur gear is tight on the X and Y-Axis stepper motor.

2) Check your belt tension and make sure that the slide plate on the X and Y-Axis transmission moves freely.

3) Shut down the computer and the machine. Restart and re-initialize the machine.

4) Make sure that you are selecting the correct post-processor for your machine.

5) Draw a 12" square and cut in on a piece of scrap. Measure to make sure that it is cutting correctly in both X and Y directions. Also measure from corner to corner and note the measurements.

If this does not fix your problem it will provide a good starting point for your conversation with tech support in the morning. Their are settings that can be adjusted in the MACRO file for both resolution and squaring the machine. However, you are going to want to rule out a mechanical problem like a loose spur gear or belt before these adjustments are made.

Good Luck!

Stinger II 48" x 48"
V Carve Pro, Corel Draw X8
1.7 kwh spindle
Performance Package
Hurricane Black Box Vac
Oneida 5hp Super Dust Gorrilla
Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 PM
CAMhead Guest

Hi,

Thank you for replying. I will do that in the morning. It was cutting no problem just prior. I did cut an 8Ē circle and it came out as an oval. I think it was 8Ē wide by 10.25Ē long (on y axis).

Iím going to check the hardware that you talked about. Iím surprised that would make it go farther. Itís doing it both ways though. So when Iím at Y0 and I type Y48 and it goes to 50.25 and then I type Y0 it goes back to the correct placement. Same as when Iím on 50.25 and I type Y5 it actually comes back to Y 5 3/16Ē.

Hop fully I can figure this out. How frustrating but thankfully itís the first problem Iíve had since I got it almost exactly a year ago.

Brad
Old 09-24-2017, 10:16 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Brad...
It sounds like you have a resolution issue. Changing it to be accurate is an easy job. What is more important is: How did it change since "it was cutting good"?

The resolution number is stored in the WinCNC.INI file and can only be changed by using a text editor at the keyboard. Have you made any changes to the WinCNC.INI file?
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 09-25-2017, 06:59 AM
CAMhead Guest

Hi Gary,

Thank you for taking your time to reply. No I didnít change anything there. Between jobs I hit go 2 X0Y0 and it stopped half way and sound like it was grinding. I looked to see if it hit something but there wasnít anything that it hit. I then turned the machine off and then back on and initialized. Itís been off since. Iím going to check the gear this morning as maybe it slipped but itís weird that the longer the y travel the more it gets off and then it corrects itself back to Y0. While I was trying to test it, it did the grinding sound one other time but there isnít anything for it to hit. Iíve even checked all the teeth on the piece going down the y-axis that the gear travels on.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 AM
CAMhead Guest

Default Thank you

Hi Guys,

I got under there and cleaned out everything really good. I heard a click when I moved it back to Y0 and it then stopped at Y1. I initialized and now all is good. Something was obviously dirty and something was going wrong. I'm back to routing.

Again, thank you for helping me and replying.

Brsdf
Old 09-25-2017, 01:16 PM
Cobra Owner

Reminds me of when I was in college and the gas pedal on my 1970 VW bug wasn't working right. I took it in to the mechanic, and after he cleaned a garbage bag worth of trash out from under the pedal it worked fine....pretty embarrassing.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 09-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Default Mee too

Sounds like the same problem with my wifes golf cart

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5 View Post
Reminds me of when I was in college and the gas pedal on my 1970 VW bug wasn't working right. I took it in to the mechanic, and after he cleaned a garbage bag worth of trash out from under the pedal it worked fine....pretty embarrassing.
Huh.....I did not realize you could actually get a garbage bag worth of trash into a VW!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 09-25-2017, 08:22 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Having owned over a dozen of them, I can tell you that you can get a lot more than that in a VW.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"