CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Questions For The Sales Team!

Old 11-01-2017, 12:13 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Running 5hp ATC Spindle on single phase

I have a 30 and 40 amp single phase outlets for vacuum and spindle but was told I need 60amp single phase for the ATC spindle. Does anyone know if there is a way to run off the 40amp or 30amp?

Dave
Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 PM
CAMhead Friend

that is a question better suited for the factory.

but I know that the 60 amp circuit, at least partially, feeds a vfd to control the spindle (motor). motors draw current at uneven rates. by limiting the input to 30 or 40 amps will limit the output to even less, resulting in a motor with substandard performance (power and torque).
Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

When configured single phase the load is the combined amperage of the spindle and all of the control components. 60 amps is reasonable. 3phase systems, along with substantially less VFD power requirements will use a load/leg balanced distribution across the 3 power legs
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 11-02-2017, 06:29 PM
CAMaster Owner

We are running a 5HP ATC and was told 50A was sufficient. 5 mos later and still no issues. Michael with Tech support will steer your in the right direction though
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

"Always let your talking do the walking and your walking do the talking".
My Grandfather.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:00 AM
CAMaster Owner

If the load is too large for your wire size you may run into a failure or even a fire if things go really wrong.

60A is #6 THHN wire
50A is #8
30A is #10

The only way you will know what the machine draws fully loaded is to measure it while it's running. I would think Camaster has done this.

Running equip on to small of a breaker might work or it might trip the breaker when the machine starts up or gets under a heavy load.

I am actually running my 240V dust collection on a 20A breaker instead of a 30A, BUT my wire is sized for 30A , I just didn't have a 30A breaker handy. It has tripped once on start up.

A too small breaker wont limit the power to it's rating, it will just trip when it overloads.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve 8.5, Fusion 360, Mozaik
Old 12-01-2017, 12:47 PM
CAMaster Owner

Please help me understand all of this.
Are you guys saying that I can run my 5hp Cobra ATC on single phase power?

I recently sent a tech request to Michael at CAMaster saying that I was possibly moving to a different shop space with only single phase power. I asked what if anything I could do or change to make my 3phase machine run on single phase. His reply was that "CAMaster does not provide that service". That is disappointing, I would have thought they would sell me a different VFD or a phase converter or at least advise me whether or not it can be done.

So, if I understand this thread correctly, you CAN run a 5hp ATC Cobra on single phase power. Can somebody please enlighten me?

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Carlos....
Short answer is yes, real answer has a number of ifs and $ in it.

CAMaster may not provide that service, but I do. That said, I only provide those services when referred (approved) by CAMaster.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"