CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Work we Produce !!!!

Old 06-05-2018, 05:17 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguthrie View Post
Sorry Bob been off line for a couple of days. I do the letters, texture, and pocketing all at the same time with the same 2 toolpaths. I choose the outer boundary and all lettering to be proud and create a pocket to whatever depth I want the letters to be proud. In the pocket command I use raster at 15 and a stepover @ 95% then repeat at -15. This will produce the entire pocket and letters in one operation except for one major difference, you have sharp corners at the base of your letters and this will leave the ball nose radius. The resultant using a 1/4" ball mill is a diamond pattern with a very clean letter.

I have since moved on and decided to waste a tremendous amount of material by pocketing as above but leaving out the letters so that the entire pocket is textured. I then machine the letter profile directly in to the texture, mill letters to place in pockets so the texture butts right up against letter with a sharp straight wall. This is way over kill but I like it and that is all that matters in my little world.

The picture attached actually has prismatic numbers but with 160 v-bit. Love this look and perfect for gold.
I was actually thinking of this same technique last night as I was pulling out my hair. It seems that the finishing would be easier since you could finish each piece separate and then glue them in perfectly. That sign is super awesome.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
1200 oz Digital Stepper Drive System
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 PM
CAMaster Owner

Brian & I disagree on several fronts ..... for one, I like random textures & they go against the grain for Brian. For two, I like my letters & the background all one piece, although I've done both. Often, the "letters" that I leave standing proud are just shadows & outlines, & I add the actual letter on the top.
I guess it's not an issue, but painting the returns one colour & the top yet another, is extra work, Returns should never, IMHO, be the same colour as the letter top. They should be the same colour as the background. Reason being .... if you look at a dimensional sign from a steep viewing angle, it will be illegible. And, if you're gilding your returns too, you're using 3X as much gold, for no added benefit. .
I guess it all boils down to your "style" ..... and personal preferences.

Abe Sau, if you call Kelly at DUNA in Baytown, TX 281-383-3862, she will send you a sample or two. Tell her I sent you ....

Bob, I'll make up a file for you to practice the pockets on. It'll be in the morning.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 06-05-2018, 08:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Textured background.

Rodger

I've been following this thread and haven't used a textured background in my projects. Any chance I can get a copy of the file you're putting together so I could give it a try.

Dave Seaver

Epilog laser engraver
CNC Router
Roland vinyl Cutter
Sublimation Printer
Screen printing
Woodworking Shop
Complete Machine Shop
Old 06-06-2018, 09:22 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Bob Walters, Dave Seaver, etc....

I think I've done this correctly.
Attached is a small "house marker" file c/w toolpaths. Any of you are welcome to it, to cut as a sample piece. It's set for 1" HDU but it would likely be cut from 1" blue or pink foam. You'll need a piece just 15" x 8" for this. I've left a .02" onion-skin. Make sure your .125" ballnose has a bit of taper.

I believe this is Bob's house number. He might have a big home, with LOTS of doors, so if you don't want this when complete, & it doesn't happen to be your number, Bob will accept them. It solves his problem of "what to buy the missus for her birthday, Mother's day, Easter , anniversary, Christmas & even for Queen Victoria's birthday" .....
He may have to add a few more doors

BTW .. a tip, The "90*V " inline stripe? If you're painting this, don't paint it a different colour. 60* & 90* V-grooves are a pain in the arse to paint, & with any mid-tone colour, the shadow cast will make it look like a different colour anyway. This works well for fine print on a sign, too. .... like the stuff you need to be close enough to smell the sign to read anyway.

I hope this works ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bob1105.jpg (97.5 KB, 37 views)
Attached Files
File Type: crv3d Bob1105.crv3d (686.0 KB, 24 views)
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 06-06-2018, 09:27 AM
CAMaster Owner

TR, thanks for posting the file...it will be a good study to affirm exactly how to do that pattern. Appreciated!

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 06-06-2018, 11:34 AM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
Attached is a small "house marker" file c/w toolpaths. Any of you are welcome to it, to cut as a sample piece. It's set for 1" HDU but it would likely be cut from 1" blue or pink foam. You'll need a piece just 15" x 8" for this. I've left a .02" onion-skin. Make sure your .125" ballnose has a bit of taper.

I believe this is Bob's house number. He might have a big home, with LOTS of doors, so if you don't want this when complete, & it doesn't happen to be your number, Bob will accept them. It solves his problem of "what to buy the missus for her birthday, Mother's day, Easter , anniversary, Christmas & even for Queen Victoria's birthday" .....

BTW .. a tip, The "90*V " inline stripe? If you're painting this, don't paint it a different colour. 60* & 90* V-grooves are a pain in the arse to paint, & with any mid-tone colour, the shadow cast will make it look like a different colour anyway. This works well for fine print on a sign, too. .... like the stuff you need to be close enough to smell the sign to read anyway.

I hope this works ....

Thank you,

bob

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 PM
CAMaster Owner

Rodger

Thanks for posting the file. Seeing the tool paths turned the light bulb on for me. Will create a similar file to test my understanding of this technique.

thanks again
Dave Seaver

Epilog laser engraver
CNC Router
Roland vinyl Cutter
Sublimation Printer
Screen printing
Woodworking Shop
Complete Machine Shop
Old 06-06-2018, 05:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

Question Which font did you used?

Quote:

I hope this works ....
I like the font you used for the numbers, which is it? Thanks
Performance Package Pro
Phenolic Table Top
Software - WinCNC
Design Software - CUT2D
Old 06-06-2018, 07:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Font

Abe, it's "A&S Ace High." It's available from signfonts.com Steve Contreras, the own, er & guy who creates the fonts has a lot of really awesome ones for signmaking, at reasonable prices. I have several of his scripts, among others.

These numbers would look really awesome with a the bottom section domed with an epoxy, & gilded. Perhaps a different colour of gold on each portion ....
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 06-06-2018, 08:36 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Abe, it's "A&S Ace High." It's available from signfonts.com Steve Contreras, the own, er & guy who creates the fonts has a lot of really awesome ones for signmaking, at reasonable prices. I have several of his scripts, among others.

These numbers would look really awesome with a the bottom section domed with an epoxy, & gilded. Perhaps a different colour of gold on each portion ....
Got it to work perfectly, THANK YOU!!! Also messed with the .25 ball nose since the sign is way bigger, it looked very nice in the rendering. My biggest problem is making such small fonts, for like their web site. It makes it sort of a pain to do the tool pathing, I need to find a solution for that because using a.0625 endmill is just not practical. Also going over to signfonts to buy a few.

Bob

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com