CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Routed Signmaking

Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default "Gold" Paint Suggestions

I'm likely going to have a few sign opportunities "real soon now" where there will be an expectation of "gold" lettering. I'm not interested in the the whole 'leafing" thing at this point--I'm still dealing with the CNC learning curve, so I'd like some advise on paints that are suitable for exterior use which will provide the typical "gold" look for lettering. What say you?

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM
CAMaster Owner

Don’t quote me on this but I believe TR had the last post concerning that material and the skill set to accompany it. I would reach out to him directly although I am certain there remain several others here that have experience with it.
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

On order:
Cobra Elite 5 x 10 ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 PM
CAMaster Owner

Hey Jim,

Modern Masters carries a metallic line, they were purchased by Rustoleom and are rumored to go away. I have purchased it on Amazon. They carry a few gold shades depending what gold tone you are looking to achieve. I have just about all of them, lol Iridescent Gold is my go to color.

I would bet TR will agree, well because I learned it from him. :)

Cliff
Hurricane Vac Table
Recoil Indexing Lathe Ready
Old 05-26-2018, 06:39 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Thanks, Amazon had 6 32 Oz left,,, Now 5 !

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 05-26-2018, 10:25 AM
CAMhead Friend

+1 for Modern Masters. Again learned from TRís class
Old 05-26-2018, 11:53 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks, folks. I grabbed 6oz of the Iridescent Gold along with another product that someone mentioned on SMC. I appreciate the lead...I'm kinda new to this. LOL

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 PM
CAMaster Owner

Jim, the MM Iridescent Gold is the best I've encountered. You'll need a white, cream or pale yellow undercoat, well sanded, & still need several coats. Actually, it's generally more work than laying patent leaf, truth be known.
They say to use their clearcoat as an overcoat. It's an "acrylic polyuethane". I bought a can, but haven't used it. Polyurethane has never been my friend in the past ..... it has always peeled like a sunburn on a redhead! It's easier to just add another coat of gold paint .

I just noticed on another forum that 1-shot metallic gold was recommended. Well, unless it has really improved from what it was 20 years ago, which I really doubt, if someone gave you a can & a $20 bill, you'd be better off handing both back to him.It was weak then, quickly lost its shine, & then in 2004, the EPA really started messing with solvent based paints, & most colours went for a crap. I'll admit to a prejudice against anything labelled 1-shot ..... I warranty everything I do & in 2005 & 2006, paints that traditionally lasted 20 years went to 20 months. Their "junk" cost me a LOT of money & I still don't trust 1-shot unless it's an old can & says "contains lead".

I use Ronan when I need a solvent based paint, but they discontinued their "Liquid Gold" ...... no idea why.
BTW, Ronan has sold to a company in Newburgh NY. They intend to "grow" the line.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3

Last edited by T.R.MacMunn; 05-26-2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-26-2018, 09:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

TR, thanks for the tips, particularly about the undercoating. I suspected as such, but having that confirmation is a good thing. I'm truly appreciative. And for the comments on the "1-Shot". I only bought a small container, so if it's not good stuff, it only cost me a few bucks out of pocket since Amazon points came into play. :)

Non CNC stuff...

Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Located Bucks County PA