CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 AM
CAMhead Guest

Default Sr-23 router setup

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2016 SR-23 with a 2.25 Milwaukee router. I want to make sure I feed it the proper power it requires. There's 2 electric cords from the control box made with 14 gauge cord terminating to standard 3 prong plugs..Length is about 10 foot each.....Do I need a 20 amp circuit for each plug or will a 15 amp circuits for each plug be enough. If I need to extend those cords another 6-8 feet, can I do so by making an extension using same gauge (14awg) or better power cable and plugs/connectors? Is 14 awg cord to small for 20 amp? Should I consider replacing the 14 gauge wire altogether with say 12 gauge and make it as long as I need to reach without any extensions? Thanks, Claude, Troy, VA
Old 06-13-2018, 12:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

Upsizing gage for extension cords is a good practice, but also try to keep the length to only what you really need, within reason and availability. I was actually frustrated at the 'borg this morning when I was trying to fine a short extension cord for a shop accessory that just needed a little more reach to the outlet I need to plug it into. A three foot extension would have been perfect, but the shortest I could find that was appropriately sized was 8'.

Relative to your electrical supply, according to the prep guide I have for my larger Stinger-II, the 2.25hp router requires 120v/15a. Your controller needs a 15 amp circuit, too, but the controller and the router should be on separate circuits. The best way to be sure is to give Camaster a call and get the Prep Guide for the Stinger 1 as well as let them know you are the new owner of the machine you acquired. The control PC also needs power, BTW. And your DC, if you will be using one, goes on another circuit. For a shop, it's a best practice, in my opinion, to use 20amp 120v circuits for general shop utility just to give a little more flexibility. Also, if you use DC, you MUST pay attention to grounding as little tiny charges can influence a CNC's operation and output quality.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM
CAMhead Guest

Thanks Jim, I am not in a hurry to turn this puppy on so I want to take my time and do it right....The cnc is close to my shop electric panel and there's a lot of unused space on it, so adding the required circiuts should not be a problem....Thanks for the reply, Claude
Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM
CAMaster Owner

Claude, for my SR23 I plug the computer and monitor into a surge protector and plug that into a 15 amp outlet. The 2 plugs that come out of the machine itself I plug into another surge protector and plug that into a different 15 amp outlet.
Since this is not a business for me (yet) I believe that will work. In my area on occasion we get heavy lightening when it rains, so I unplug my everything from the wall to make sure I don't fry it.
3.5 Milwaukee router
Prepped for recoil
Old 06-13-2018, 04:35 PM
CAMaster Owner

Steve, I'd be concerned with the router and the controller being on the same circuit, especially if you start cutting something "heavy" (work-wise) and the router's amperage draw shoots up to what it can get to.

I have a UPS on my WinCNC computer which includes surge protection and do unplug my Stinger when I'm not using it in the shop. That's a good practice for sure. Lightning happens.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us