CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 02:16 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default small part handling

I haven't posted in a while but think this is worth it.

Probably many of the experienced CNC operators know this already but I figured I should share it with us less experienced users.
I had to cut a full sheet of these out and theres no way my vacuum would hold these down being so small. I was just going to tab them but realized that just cutting free nearly 300 of these and then to have to edge sand at least 2 edges if not more of them wasn't exciting me (or my guys!)

I actually learned from using Mozaik software that small parts are handled by onionskinning to about .65 or so , then cutting thru on next pass. The trick is to fully cut each piece before moving onto the next part. Also and maybe more important is to have the start entry and stop exit point along one longest edge thats still connected to the main sheet. you can see that point in the picture so thats what I'm left to sand off. Saved at least an hour or so with this method as opposed to my old way of doing things.

By the way, these are part of an assembly to create a light valance/soffitt around a perimeter wall for a restaurant chain. The LED light tape runs thru the 1/2 circle.

I try to learn a little everyday!

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 .5 X 4 inch part.JPG (77.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 05:30 PM
CAMhead Friend

How many sheets are we talking here
Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM
CAMhead Friend

Just 2 sheets. Curious, Why is the number of sheets important?
Old 09-17-2017, 09:27 AM
CAMhead Friend

If you can use a self stick vinyl like shelf liner on the bottom then use some contact adhesive to stick it to a sheet of cardboard or gator foam then vacuum that down to the table the parts would be held down and not go flying. That was why I wanted to know as it may be to many but just 2 sheets would be easy
Old 09-17-2017, 11:48 AM
CAMhead Friend

Great idea !
Thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Camaster Owner

With my setup when I use a .125 compression bit. It causes the sawdust to slightly pack into the cut. No tabs no onion skin. When I'm done cutting I just lift up a corner of the sheet and poke the pieces out with my fingers. Can't quite achieve with a .25 bit as I can't cut fast enough I think.

SR-44
Performance Package
3.25 HP router
T-slot table
Vcarve software
Old 09-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Cobra Owner

Yes, start points are very important for small parts cut without tabs. I pick the far right corner as my last cut, and I edit all the start points so that each cut ends up at the end of the side closest to that corner. This means the part is fully supported right up until the cut is finished.

You don't have to cut each part out completely before moving to the next part, and I actually find it better to cut all the parts at once with an onionskin, then go back and cut everything a second time to remove that onionskin. This gives you the full vacuum holding power over the whole sheet for the deepest cuts, and then when the onionskin is cut and the vacuum decreases you are only putting a tiny force on the cuts.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com