CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 AM
CAMhead Friend

Default networked?

as we await our panther 404 to arrive, one question I have been wondering is the consensus of users, have you connected your CNC control PC to the internet?

what are the pro's and con's?

I have seen that camaster says that if connected, that they can connect to the cnc and do some on line troubleshooting if there is a problem.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:55 AM
CAMhead Friend

How it was explained to me. If you leave your router computer hooked to the internet. Then you get an update or something else automatically downloading. The computer could throw off things while you are routing. Best to be able to hook and unhook internet as needed.
I have found flash drives do well to transfer from the office computer to the router computer. Down load from the flash drive. To your router computer to route. This is better than working off the flash drive.
Enjoy your Panther!!
20hp regen vac
laser pointer
V carve 8.0
Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

Eddie makes a good point but at my age I cannot remember to connect and disconnect my internet. I leave mine connected all the time and I have never had a problem (knock on wood). Because I have a business which is mostly conducted in cyberspace I have to constantly check my email. I have three software programs to protect against viruses or hackers. I don't do production so I don't use my machine everyday all day. When I am designing I like to be able to log onto the internet to check this forum or other online resources for answers and suggestions.

The first time I booted up my machine I cloned the hard drive so if there were any problems or corruption I could just change it out and start over. Of course I back it up daily to another hard drive. Hard drives are cheap insurance. You should at least have internet available so the support folks can log in on team viewer to assist. They can only log in if you give them permission so no worries.

The only guaranteed way to stop a hacker or a virus or a problem with machine code as it is running, is to never go online. Of course the power could go out as well when you are cutting. You might be able to restart if you know exactly the line on which it stopped. So unfortunately as in most things in life "It depends".
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM
CAMhead owner

Default Internet

There is a great little free program called "internet off" that, once installed, allows you to turn on the internet for 5 or 15 minutes or an hour and then it automatically disconnects you from the internet! I find it indispensable for my use as I do not want the computer hooked up and then forget to turn it off! Google "internet off" and I think you will find it!
FTC, Laser
1.7KW spindle
VCarve Pro 8.5
Aspire 9
Windows 10
www.wellsguitars.com
www.baystateguitars.com
Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Default Not a good role model

Our commercial machine stays hooked up and On, all updates turned off, No internet use unless it is tech or where i email a file to the machine. pretty much 24/7 sometimes i turn it off on holidays

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Stinger I Owner

I am hooked up with all auto updates turned off. I manually update ~ once a week.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
KRS USB Keypad
Mick Martin Table
Aspire 8.5, WinCNC
Chips-a-flyin’
brucep128@gmail.com
Old 09-21-2017, 02:16 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

I allow all updates to download but not to execute until I am ready. I usually design on my office computer and use my home network to send to my Stinger. Flash drive work also but it is just another step.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net