CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2017, 11:43 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Need Information on Digitizing probe

I am wanting to replicate many many 3D parts on my Stinger I machine. I have the latest version of Aspire and was looking in to writing programs from scratch for each and every part. Looking at how much time, work, and trial-and-error I would need to invest in this I started looking into the Digitizer Probe sold by CAMaster, but I'm unable to find a whole lot on it. I need to know absolutely everything I can about this. All of the pros and ALL of the cons. I am looking into mass production and need the most efficient way to replicate these parts. I know scanning may be time consuming, but once an item is scanned, I have it for good, so scanning time is not a problem just as long as it does an excellent job. Also, is there a better probe, or a better way all together to program 3D parts? Any help is much appreciated. I want to know what your experience is like using the probe before I go dropping almost $500 on it. Are there any major draw backs or flaws, anything. And how easy is it to get into Aspire, if possible at all? Can it translate into G-Code? Anything anybody has is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 AM
Stinger II Owner

For what it is worth, a while back someone here asked some similar questions. I created a quick sample for him. Like your questions, I didn't have the answers for his either so a sample test might help. This test was NOT 3d work, but rather perimeter drawings. For what it is worth. I haven't tried 3d. Others here may have better experiences?
The test was used to create the Aspire file that is attached. I used the WinCNC users manual to learn a little about the probe. I think you can get that file on the WinCNC website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DigitizeOutline with Dims.jpg (5.2 KB, 40 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Digitize Hammer Notes.txt (664 Bytes, 12 views)
File Type: crv3d Sample Hammer Digitize.crv3d (178.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Shannon...
Lots of questions.

You do not say what kind of parts, their size or what level of detail is required. Nor do you say what material you will use or the quantity you consider to be "mass production".

How about a picture of your product and a few answers to the above?

Assuming you really have parts that require 3D cutting from a model, the digital probe would be one of the worst available ways to develop a model. High resolution digital scans will result in much higher (10X+) detail if needing to copy an original is the task.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Shannon see the FAQ forum for memebership to the fourm as an owner.

A digital probe is Ancient technology,, cheap and for a reason

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 02-10-2017, 11:26 AM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

I have a Digitizing probe as Gary wrote it depends on what you want to do, it is VERY slow (depending on size or the part and resolution). It is way faster to 3D scan (pay Brady Watson) to do the work.
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 8 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
http://dropc.am/p/eaLXUP
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:20 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thank you for the tips, how accurate and fast is a 3D scan?
Old 02-10-2017, 02:36 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Current 3D digital scanning offers the highest resolution available. It also requires very high end computer and software solutions to do properly. For the most part sub 1 thousandth, maybe into the few ten thousandth area. In any case higher than you can expect to cut with a Stinger 1. 10 to 100 times more surface resolution than you could expect from a digital probe.

Time would depend on location (shipping time) and the size and required resolution of the parts.

Again, these questions can not be properly answered without answers on your part.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 PM
CAMhead Friend

Again, thank you everyone for all your help and comments.

I am attaching a picture just as a sample of something that I might want to produce. As you can see, this has a lot of detail, but not everything I do will have this much detail. Most of it will be smooth surfaces, but it will be 3D work, nearly all of it.

The speed of the scan is not a huge issue because, although I may need to scan 100 different items over the course of the next year or so, I will produce many parts from each scan. So in other words, if an item such as the item in the picture took 15 hours to do a good quality scan, it is not a big deal, since I will then produce 100s of parts from it, over a long period of time.

If a handheld scanner is the way to go, does anyone have a recommendation of a good brand to go with? I can spend $10K if necessary, but I sure hope I don't have to spend that much to get a good one. I would rather save my money up to be able to get another Camaster soon, I hope. But good quality and accurate scans are a must. Not only getting fine detail would be good, but also, I will be running some parts that need to have holes in precise locations plus or minus maybe .005" or so.

The materials we will usually use will be acrylics and wood.

The size of the parts will usually be around 3" in length, by 2" width, and maybe .5" in thickness. The picture I uploaded is more like around 6" tall, but this would be the exception rather than the rule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8180.jpg (91.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:06 PM
CAMhead Friend

This is also more the type of thing we will be doing. As you can see, the knife handles are 3D contoured, but not as detailed as the other picture. Most of what we will do will be at this level of detail. You can see how the holes in the handle blank would have to be exact to insert through the steel tang. So precision in both the scan and the cutting on the CNC would be necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8181.jpg (92.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Camaster Owner

If you want to see the quality that can be achieved with Brady watson's digital scanning take a look at this thread .

http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=5889

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough