CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default Glue up questions

Lets sat I glue up various pieces to make a chunk 14x8" and 1" thick.

Could I slice this into 7 1/8" pieces and expect them to maintain their integrity ?

Stinger 1
Old 06-25-2017, 10:20 PM
CAMaster Owner

Doug, normally it is said the glued joint is stronger than the surrounding wood. So it should maintain its integrity. Of course the glued edges must be true to each other (edged on a jointer preferably). If I'm reading this correctly your slicing 1/8" strips. If that is the case I wouldn't be surprised to see some bowing as the surface tension of the wood changes due to the thinness.
You perhaps have seen that when machining a 3D project that was 3/4" thick and a lot of it ended up closer to 1/4" thick.
Sorry for the wordy answer.
Index Lathe
Performance kit, VCarve Pro 8.0
Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Intention is not 1/8 strips but rather 1/8 thick flat pieces of whatever dimension my glueup is.

Would agree, warping more than likely will be a factor, can easily happen unglued with certain woods/conditions.
I have sliced near veneer flat as a board and have had .25" warp, guess alot depends on species, moisture content, stability ect.

No jointer but I should be able to get some good flush cuts with a table saw, only 1 way to answer my question for sure.

Stinger 1
Old 06-28-2017, 01:08 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

1st ever real glueup, used poplar, walnut and purpleheart.

It occurred to me looking at the pic that I should have used padauk instead of walnut for a red, white and blue effect.

I could have and should have clamped it vertically but I didn't think of how easy I could have done it until after the glue was set, but it seems pretty flat.

Tomorrow I will run it through the drum sander then slice 1/8" with the bandsaw and see how that goes, should leave over .5 to do a 3D carving with the rest, will post back the results.
I can already see a jointer in my future, just for glueups. I'm not expecting much from this haphazard attempt, hopefully will be surprised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2141.jpg (89.9 KB, 91 views)

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 06-28-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Glueup turned out nice, had a little warp to it though so I didn't try slicing it.

Already got my next one going, this one with vertical pressure so hopefully it will be nice and flat.
Am making a 3d carving with the 1st one, should be ready in a couple of hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2143.jpg (95.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2144.jpg (88.9 KB, 77 views)

Stinger 1
Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 PM
CAMhead Guest

Your glue up is not flat because your joints are not at square.
Check your jointer or saw and make sure they are set to 90. There are other ways to make glue up without a 90* edge that you can look up online.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:57 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Plus one to what Kyle says. If cutting glue ups with a table saw, a glue joint rip blade should be used and edges should be made up from alternating top/bottom cuts so that if the saw angle is not a perfect 90* to the bed, the difference will cancel out, rather than cause a bow in the face.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 06-29-2017, 12:18 AM
Stinger II Owner

For what it is worth....
Look up the word "Clamping Cauls" or something with cauls to learn about the vertical pressure process. It works really well for me. It will give you another thing to cut (the caul) on your CNC.
I can tell you are having fun!!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Bow wasn't severe, managed to make this 3D carving with it, but enough so that a thin bandsaw slice likely would have failed.
[Weird looking, I know - Would have left out the walnut if I had planned to do this]

I'll bow to superior experience here and I realize my methods are not optimal, really just an ad hoc process done on the fly on a whim. Sometimes you just gotta do it rather than over thinking and waiting for everything to be perfect ,,, Will likely be a while until I get a jointer, I've been eyeballing a Grizzly in the $300 range. Will look into a glue rip blade, 1st I have heard of them.

I will say that I noticed it bowing as I tightened the clamps and returned to level with the pressure off, I figured I'd rather have a chance of a slight bow than a flawed edge bond.

We'll see how my other board with a vertical clamp on it turns out, right now it is flat as a board and hopefully will stay that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2146.jpg (96.4 KB, 110 views)

Stinger 1

Last edited by Xray; 06-29-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

I always use biscuits in my glue ups. They keep the wood aligned as long as you have tight biscuit slots which is determined by a steady hand and patience. Personally, I have never needed to use cauls for flat glue ups and biscuits are much easier and pretty much guaranteed. All the wood needs to be flat, straight and at right angles. Much easier to do with a jointer than a table saw for good results. Cheers.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net