CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Routed Signmaking

Old 01-26-2017, 07:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Hdpe

I am working on my first outdoor sign that isn't wood. It is a 36" black clover with a green layer on top of that and white letters. It will be on the front of a building and two will be located inside. Am I going down the right track with material choice? I contacted Curbell plastics today for a quote, they quoted 3/8 inch thick material.

I am attaching the file for reference, I need to work on the file some before it is tooled.

Please let me know if I should be considering another material. We are going for non-maintenance and no painting.

Thanks for any input regarding material or thickness choice.
Attached Files
File Type: crv unitedtalentlogo.crv (94.0 KB, 30 views)
Hurricane vacuum
www.fultonfinewoodworks.com
Old 01-27-2017, 08:24 AM
CAMaster Owner

Ronnie, I can't really comment on HDPE because not only have I never used it, but I'm not even sure what it is, although I see it comes in sheets. But, if it's like PVC, you may ruin into issues with the black if it has a lot of sun exposure.

This is an issue with many substrates .... the different names. We all hear brand names all the time, & may not realize what are different "brands" of the same material, & what are actually different materials. Even HDU ( High Density Urethane ) ..... although there are only a few brands, I've noticed that customs gives it a different title for the "harmonized commodity #" you have to reference. It';s either HDPU or HDPE ( I forget which) but maybe they don't really care .... like walnut or maple, which are simply classified as hardwoods.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks for taking the time to respond, over 100 views no reply was starting to make me wonder!

From what I understand, HDPE is the correct term without the branding associated. Although it comes already correct color, as you stated it, black plastic makes me nervous with sun exposure. I am starting to think UDF in sheets may be better. I feel comfortable with a high quality exterior paint holding up to the elements as they were designed for that.

Any insight that can be provided onto the type of udf I should be considering will be appreciated. Thanks!
Hurricane vacuum
www.fultonfinewoodworks.com
Old 01-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Stinger II Owner

Ronnie,

I'm not sure that I understand your application and design so I'll let you make the decisions. I have used a King product named ColorCore outdoors and I like that no finishing is required. I used 0.50 inch material. I don't have the talent and skills like others.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ronnie, you have to keep in mind that most on this forum aren't into signs, so you'll never get a lot of responses.

I have no idea what UDF is.
If you mean HDU, which is a common substrate for dimensional signs, Corafoam would be my preference. It has the tightest cell structure.
The price will likely shock you, but this stuff is about as versatile as you could ever hope for...
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 01-27-2017, 06:39 PM
CAMaster owner

I rout HDPE all the time. I use a product called Colorcore. Most all of them on the market are 3 layers with exterior layers being one color and the core is a different color. There are solid color sheets as well. Think of that with your artwork.

1/2" or larger for unsupported exterior applications. Thinner stuff need to be supported.

It will deflect (cup) when hogged out too much so keep that in mind.

It cannot be glued, it must be mechanically fastened. Do not try to heat weld it....not going to work and last. It accepts all wood fasteners.

Will not accept paint at all...dont try it...wont stay on.

Colorcore lasts practically forever and I have yet to see it fade. Not at all like PVC. HDPE is the JAM!

https://www.facebook.com/SignProFlorida

Stinger 4'x8'
1.7 KW HSD Spindle
Vectric VCarve Pro
Adobe CS4