CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Materials we Need !!

Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default I tested the spoilboard

Gary, I read your post with the attachment on it on how to test the spoilboard. If I did everything correctly the factory setting on the hurricanes is around 10 with all the valves closed and thatís what mine read, then with all the valves open Sucking through the spoil board I only got a reading around 7.5, which I know isnít good. From everything Iíve read that you posted you want a lower number. Iím looking hard for a LDF or ULDF supplier in my area, just havenít found one. I think when I do (even if I have to travel to get it) and I get my numbers lower I wonít have a problem holding most of the stuff Iíll be cutting down.

And I was thinking about doing some tracks in an MDO sheet so if I was doing smaller jobs I could vacuum the mdo down and use the tracks to hold the smaller stuff.
6 Toll Rotary Changer
2 Hurricanes
V Carve Pro
WinCNC
Old 03-23-2018, 09:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Not sure if MDF would work Carasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by carasel View Post
Depending on what your making. Look to see about using extria. It is an exterior mdf basically. I did a set of boat dock cabinets with it. Assembled with stainless screws. After four years it still is doing well. I know it is available in different sizes and thicknesses. Just not sure about 5x10.
This is the kind of stuff I make, horse jumps that get moved around by a lot at each horse show, loaded on trailers, strapped down and shipped cross country. Iíve used mdf before but I would rather not, if the guys moving it take care then it holds up fine but if not it can get a little flakey.
6 Toll Rotary Changer
2 Hurricanes
V Carve Pro
WinCNC
Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Mo..
You are correct. The numbers are too high, which means that your bleeder board is not flowing air. Did you skim both sides?
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 03-24-2018, 02:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Yes sir

I did. I skimmed both sides, then glued the bleeder to my Plenum (I also skimmed my plenum like you told us to at the class). I used a small dollop on each of the grid squares and a single bead around each of the grids, and I left the vacuums on for about an hour afterwards. I then used the glue around the edge of the board painting it on with a small foam brush. I was worried about the small amount of glue I got on the top of my spoilboard so I skimmed it one more time.

I wonder if the glue I put around the edge is letting air through, but I can't imagine it being that drastic. I also need to get some Melamine to put around the edge of my Ply as I've only been cutting 4x8 so far on my 5x10 table. I've just today found a place here in STL that sells LDF but of course they are closed on Saturdays, but I'm going to see if they will sell single sheets and replace the spoil board asap.

Most everything has held in place so far, if not the whole sheet, then enough for me to do the cuts I've needed. I'm going to upgrade the board and hopefully that will solve my problems.
6 Toll Rotary Changer
2 Hurricanes
V Carve Pro
WinCNC
Old 03-24-2018, 04:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

MoDuhon, seriously consider using MDO for your beautiful jump standards. MDF...even when exterior rated...is still easily damaged. MDO is essentially high-quality exterior plywood with a smooth facing that is a very popular material for signs, such as highway type signs. It's pretty durable and given how standards get thrown around, moved a lot, sometimes get trampled in the "heat of the moment" and get knocked around with "somewhat" nested storing, you'll probably get longer life out of them. Yea...less replacements...but a better quality and more durable product.

MDO is available in a variety of thicknesses...from 3/8" through 3/4"...so you can use what's best for the given profile and even use thiner material for overlay details in complex designs. My supplier (Industrial Plywood) doesn't carry 5x10, but they do have 4x10 in 3/4"

This is very likely what I'll be using for similar product offerings in my geography.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 03-24-2018, 04:56 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default For sure

That's what I've done in the past Jim, I like MDO for jumps for sure. And I like to say my jumps last forever anyway. I actually made some solid plastic stick standards that actually will last forever!
6 Toll Rotary Changer
2 Hurricanes
V Carve Pro
WinCNC
Old 03-24-2018, 08:12 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yea, I can imagine that plastic materials can last very well for this application. Of course, there are some equestrian minds that equate "plastic" with "cheap" and "undesirable"...the barn we originally had our horses with had an owner like that. I tried and tried to get her to accept that lighter weight was a nice thing and could be just as strong, but...no success. :) And she had a bad back, too. Go figure.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us

Tags
hardwood, suppliers