CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Routed Signmaking

Old 08-08-2017, 02:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default No smoking signs

So rather than make "designer firewood", as Trout Tamer would say ..... I thought I'd experiment in background textures on some Corafoam cutoffs, of which I have plenty. Corafoam will burn, but really, you shouldn't ......
These are Newfoundland "No Smoking" signs.
You can "groan" if you like, because it could be either a "play on words" or a "play on birds" ( insert another groan here)
If you don't get it, "google" birds of Newfoundland......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NoPuffin.jpg (93.3 KB, 134 views)
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 08-08-2017, 05:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Lol, awesome all the way around!
HSD 12HP ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

Be humble.
Be kind.
Be grateful.
Life is too short and prone to quickly change to live otherwise.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
So rather than make "designer firewood", as Trout Tamer would say ..... I thought I'd experiment in background textures on some Corafoam cutoffs, of which I have plenty. Corafoam will burn, but really, you shouldn't ......
These are Newfoundland "No Smoking" signs.
You can "groan" if you like, because it could be either a "play on words" or a "play on birds" ( insert another groan here)
If you don't get it, "google" birds of Newfoundland......
I've found a supplier of Corafoam (or something similar I think) here in Cincinnati and am going to start playing around with it. This is the stuff you buy in "weights" correct?

Is this sort of the same? (See link)
https://www.piedmontplastics.com/res...-plusT-pblt-20

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
1200 oz Digital Stepper Drive System
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com

Last edited by Bob Walters; 08-08-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Stinger II Owner

Bob,
This was a very helpful post. Just search for precision board and corafoam to find more.
http://camheads.org/showthread.php?t...recision+board
Old 08-09-2017, 04:55 AM
CAMaster Owner

Bob..... this is the same stuff but from a different manufacturer. I use Duna Corafoam myself, although I use some of Coastal's ( the maker of Precision Board) primers & fillers. Both are great companies, but I prefer the Corafoam to work with & I have access to a several hundred sheet inventory less than 3 hours away.
I use the 15lb & 20 lb densities, & I keep a bit of 31lb around for jobs that really require hardness.
I've not tried the latest offerings from Precision Board. In the past, its "cell size" was always bigger than Corafoam's & subsequently required more finishing. However, if it's what you can get locally, it's likely your best bet.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 08-09-2017, 07:30 AM
Camaster Owner

Bob,

I just did a sample run with Precision, Cora, and Design board in 20# and 15# just to determine if the up charge on the Cora product was worth it. The 15# hands down I now use Cora exclusively. The finish quality and ease of painting pays for itself 2X over because of the cell size and dust reduction. 20# was a wash between all 3 manufacturers. Cell size, dust, and finish time were all very close with Cora a little better but Precision right there. Design board was lower just because of a couple voids within the foam.

All the samples cut were directly from the factories and I was told latest formulations. Let me know if you need a distributor for Duna brands, I have been working with Duna to try and get somebody to stock product but to no avail at this point. it usually takes about a week to get it shipped from Houston to the distributor.

Brian

If you need a sample just call them and they will send out samples pretty quick to test drive.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 AM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
Bob,
This was a very helpful post. Just search for precision board and corafoam to find more.
http://camheads.org/showthread.php?t...recision+board
Awesome, thanks.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguthrie View Post
Bob,

I just did a sample run with Precision, Cora, and Design board in 20# and 15# just to determine if the up charge on the Cora product was worth it. The 15# hands down I now use Cora exclusively. The finish quality and ease of painting pays for itself 2X over because of the cell size and dust reduction. 20# was a wash between all 3 manufacturers. Cell size, dust, and finish time were all very close with Cora a little better but Precision right there. Design board was lower just because of a couple voids within the foam.

All the samples cut were directly from the factories and I was told latest formulations. Let me know if you need a distributor for Duna brands, I have been working with Duna to try and get somebody to stock product but to no avail at this point. it usually takes about a week to get it shipped from Houston to the distributor.

Brian

If you need a sample just call them and they will send out samples pretty quick to test drive.

Thanks, I will give them a call. The good thing about the local people is that I can avoid the shipping.

I'm paying about $300.00 for a piece of Corian that's 30x72. Is this stuff in that same ballpark for price? I see it comes in 4x8 sheets which is nice.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 AM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
Bob..... this is the same stuff but from a different manufacturer. I use Duna Corafoam myself, although I use some of Coastal's ( the maker of Precision Board) primers & fillers. Both are great companies, but I prefer the Corafoam to work with & I have access to a several hundred sheet inventory less than 3 hours away.
I use the 15lb & 20 lb densities, & I keep a bit of 31lb around for jobs that really require hardness.
I've not tried the latest offerings from Precision Board. In the past, its "cell size" was always bigger than Corafoam's & subsequently required more finishing. However, if it's what you can get locally, it's likely your best bet.
I've been watching YouTube videos on it and am excited about getting my hands on some. Thanks

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Stinger Owner

Rodger,

Is it 3 hours closer to me or 3 hours the other way? I'm still hoping to meet you in Ironbridge later this month to take some of that scrap off your hands!

Love what you do with textures on your machine!

Mike
Sidewinder Back Knife Rotary
Epilog Legend
www.artcentergraphics.com
www.baconwood.com