CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > Questions For The Sales Team!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:53 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

WINcnc is backed by the same kind of fellows that own and back CAMaster. I once had the pleasure of sitting up for 7 days with Kelly on a glitch when we were all getting into 3d and aspire was in infancy.

even tough it turned out to be a hardware problem with the type of drivers 9 machine owners were using Kelly was right there with us the entire time. never once winced or tried to deflect, once the drive issue was solved all were replaced with different drives and many will never know the pins and needles we were on about this.

I saw who these guys are and in close to nine years there is no way in hades i would compare Mach to WINcnc,

CAMaster has actually been building machines with WINcnc long before many here will know, my first machine was a 1998 model with what was then a dos program called Microsystems (Now WINcnc) on a win 98 computer. i upgraded it in 2008 and it is still in operation at a sign company in pensecola

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 04-13-2016, 06:40 PM
CAMaster Owner

Gary, I thought Camaster used to be Mach based, no? I could be wrong.

My impression was that Mach with some add ons (I think a PCI card) was comparable to WinCNC. I'm not saying as good as, just in the same ballpark. Again, this is just my impression from the little Mach research I've done.. feel free to correct me.
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Cosmos...
For a number of years they offered both. WinCNC was a higher priced option. In the long run, and I am not quoting an official source, but a well informed user that swapped from Mach to WinCNC, Mach was dropped as an option completely. The reasons, as I was told, were that there was no support for obvious problems, and without listing them, I see a good number of those same issues mentioned on forums I frequent, some 6 years later.

I agree that like me, you may have heard that, but if you drill down, no one that states that they would be equal has actually owned a WinCNC controlled machine, nor can you purchase that magical new add on or plug-in. These appear to be internet based "factoids" or marketing hype of the next best thing.

Be thankful that you have what you have. But, if you feel you must know, I will build you a DB37 AB switch that will allow you to run either with a simple power down in between.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

there were a few machs when the predecessor the the stinger was out easily less than ten machines , a few stinger in the beginning as an option but it made it hard to support though tech and forum. WINcnc was the better choice and it brought all of us inline to help each other

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
But, if you feel you must know, I will build you a DB37 AB switch that will allow you to run either with a simple power down in between.
Quite alright, I will take your word for it :)

Seems most CNC systems are tethered to a PC in one form or another, even the big boys. Siemens and Fanuc's usually have PCs attached and are similarly tied to hardware and its obsolescence.. no way around I can see.

I suppose you could drop 10-15k on an Acu-rite, but those break too. (not sure you could configure for use on a big router) Many of them out there will floppy drives still.
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 04-13-2016, 11:32 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

"Quite alright, I will take your word for it :)"

Something I seldom do without testing for myself. You must be younger than myself.

"Back in the day" of books, 3 out of 10 on a given technical subject seemed to be in agreement and consistent with what a guy could find out on his own. We now have the internet and when it comes to the DIY CNC explosion of the last decade, its seems that 3 out of 100 authors of posts have that same accuracy.
GCnC411@gmail.com

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Tom...
I can answer those as both are valid, albeit a little gloom and doom.

1) WinCNC has always provided a computer solution that is compatible with their PCI hardware. Both in the computers they provide to CAMaster and in the specs of the many models they test for compliance and actual data thruput.

2) That as an OEM systems builder, they are much farther up the computer hardware chain than we endusers. Rest assured that when there is no longer a traditional tower to house the PCI card, the PCI card will not be needed.

And by the way you may be referring to the extremely volatile market of consumer grade computing products. In this market the products it seems must get smaller and cheaper every month. Not so with professional units. The desktop tower is not going anywhere, its just not going to be the cheapest solution for those that look for that sort of thing.
Gary,
I wasn't necessarily disparaging tower computers nor was I bashing WinCNC. Just lamenting out loud my experiences with consumer PCI cards. My concern was over having to potentially replace the card if the computer dies, and that, unfortunately, is a reality that might be faced. That said, if it happens and confidence is high that replacement cards will be available, that is good to know.

Thanks all for your comments - it is much appreciated. I'm in the process of shopping for a new CNC router machine and discovering much about them, thanks to folks like you. I'm probably going to end up spending north of 15K, and the more info I have the better decision I can make.

Tom
Old 04-14-2016, 08:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

Gary, I just have no interest in Mach, that's all. You probably older and more grizzled than me :)

I do feel fortunate to be starting with WinCNC. I think the OP can be assured it's a good control.
>Pen Marking Tools
Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Tom...
I didn't believe that you were making disparaging remarks. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the differences between the CNC world with a company like WinCNC and the throw away world of consumer grade computing.

The odds are much higher that future products will have features that would have you want to replace the card than for you to be stuck with a card and no PC to install it into.

Have you read this thread? http://www.camheads.org/showthread.php?t=3904 If so remember the "Words from those before you" that state that the items that appear to be important prepurchase are usually insignificant after that purchase. I am suggesting that this is one of those items.
GCnC411@gmail.com

Old 04-15-2016, 01:35 PM
CAMhead Friend

More questions on the Stinger 2:

1. If you get the lathe option, can it be mounted on either side of the table? Most of the pics I see show it on the opposite side of the pc hookup side of the control box. I'd have to put mine close to a wall on one side, so would want to access both the lathe and control panel from the one side.

2. Are e-tracks standard on all axes?

3. On the web page for the SR-34, it says the footprint is 66x79 inches, but in the attached layout print, it shows it as 55x78 inches. Which is closer to reality?

Thanks,
Tom