CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > BobCAD-CAM

Old 06-07-2012, 04:46 PM
CAMhead Legend

Default Making Signs in BobCAD

Yes you can make signs in BobCAD. Here is a sample project made by one of my clients.

Things to remember when working with BobCAD with CNC Routers

Most routers tables use a fence and the spoil board is Z0. So you need to make sure to setup BobCAD to cut in all positive moves.

This is easy to do!

Make sure to move your part so that the bottom left corner of the job is located at 0,0. So that your part is running in X+ and Y+

Then RT click on milling stock and choose edit. From here you can set your Z Top of Stock Length and Width and the stock thickness.

Because your work offset has the spoil board set to Z0 the Top of Stock would be the thickness of the stock you are working with 1/2, 3/4 etc. By doing this you are setting up all you machining features to cut in Z+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Conure.jpg (89.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Sun Conure_1.jpg (79.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Sun Conure_2.jpg (86.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Sun_Concure.jpg (19.7 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by aldepoalo; 06-07-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator

when we having a bobcad day at CAMaster AL? Tracy asked about it today.

US Router Tools
888-720-TOOL (8665)
www.usroutertools.com
Old 06-07-2012, 04:51 PM
CAMhead Legend

Joey,

Jeff is back in the office now, I am having him call you to setup the dates!
Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Cobra Owner

So far, I've made a few signs and I use BobCAD v24. For any tricky graphics like wrapping text or dragging and resizing complicated objects and text, I will generally use Corel Draw X5 first and then export/import the DXF. Corel just has more options for the 2D stuff and is easier to use, especially if you are experimenting with color prototyping and just dragging/resizing by eye. If you need to move a precise distance then BobCAD is better since you have the option of using coordinates.

Here are a couple of the signs I've done, all toolpathed in BobCAD. I've gotten pretty used to it and use several layers to manage the different objects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1475.jpg (81.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1136.jpg (49.1 KB, 74 views)
BobCAD v25 4th Axis
Corel Draw X5
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM
CAMhead Legend

Nice work Rich,

Question how did you do the braille ?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf View Post
So far, I've made a few signs and I use BobCAD v24. For any tricky graphics like wrapping text or dragging and resizing complicated objects and text, I will generally use Corel Draw X5 first and then export/import the DXF. Corel just has more options for the 2D stuff and is easier to use, especially if you are experimenting with color prototyping and just dragging/resizing by eye. If you need to move a precise distance then BobCAD is better since you have the option of using coordinates.

Here are a couple of the signs I've done, all toolpathed in BobCAD. I've gotten pretty used to it and use several layers to manage the different objects.
Nice ADA sign Rich, I see you were able to set the profile cut depth correctly and not cut into the Corian ......
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldepoalo View Post
Nice work Rich,

Question how did you do the braille ?
You can get an add on script for coralDraw on the Sawmill Creek forum, check out the section "Sign Design and Fabrication"

Quote from Sawmill Creek froum

Quote:
Our server Administrator Aaron Koehl has created a new Software Forum here and is offering his Braille Script for Corel Draw for $49.95.

Aaron's ADA download includes an interpreter, braille font, his custom script and an install file...everything you need to make adding Grade II Braille to your signs a snap. I have been using Aaron's original script for over a year, the new revision has many improvements.

You asked for it, here is the link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=102008
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Cobra Owner

I use the Braille script within Corel Draw that Mick referenced. These Braille graphics export as .060" diameter circles in the DXF. Unfortunately, I can't easily toolpath those little circles. I zoom way in for accuracy and put a point in the middle of each of the circles. From those, I use the drill toolpath to drill to a depth of .0313" depth with a .060" Braille cutter at each point.

Here are a couple more signs that I designed and cut this last week. These are designed to either hang from the horizontal part of a mailbox post or be screwed onto the vertical part of the 4x4 post. That is a 12" ruler in the picture to get a perspective on the sizing. These are made from 1/4" thick glacier white corian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1524.jpg (90.8 KB, 47 views)
BobCAD v25 4th Axis
Corel Draw X5
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Cobra Owner

Whoops forgot to reply to your question Mick. I did do better after planing my board and calibrating my touch pad thickness (at first I was editing the wrong file). You can't see it here but it did cut into the corian (this sign was prior to my calibration effort). What I noticed was that my corian thickness had enough variation that it was causing me some issues. Another sign I did, after my calibration and planing, was cutting into the corian in the upper part of the sign but was not going deep enough to cut through the Romark plastic on a lower part.

This was on a smaller scrap piece but I'm wondering what kind of consistency I should expect on the thickness. In this case 1 or 2 hundreds makes a big difference since we are only talking about 3 hundreds thickness (1/32") for this adhesive plastic. My next step was to switch from a psuedo V bit (.02 flat at bottom, then 60 deg) to a 1/16th end mill and even if it touches the corian, it may not be noticeable. I really hate to think I have to plane each piece of corian but if that is required, that is what I'll do. I need to do more testing on this. The other alternative is to have my letters laser cut and then I could just lightly engrave on the corian to register the placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Martin View Post
Nice ADA sign Rich, I see you were able to set the profile cut depth correctly and not cut into the Corian ......
BobCAD v25 4th Axis
Corel Draw X5
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 AM
CAMhead Friend

Hi I upgraded from v24 to v25 with all options. I have been using v24 for about 1 year. I like to do photo art and making signs out of wood. I have been using my friends CNC machining center so far and am looking at one day purchasing a Camaster unit poss. stinger III or cobra but need to save money. I went to the bobcad class and have all of there training software. I am able to create most things with bobcad. Just wanted to say Hi.