CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > BobCAD-CAM

Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Cobra Owner

Welcome to the forum Ron. I got called last week about upgrading from V24. I have the standard mill and bobart versions, not pro. I haven't had a chance to download and try it yet. My primary interests in an upgrade is what it can do for 4th axis wrapping. I saw they are releasing a 4/5 axis version in a few months, so keeping my eyes out for that. Rhino/MadCAM is the other package I'm considering in that area. The other features of V25 that I see potentially useful are the object resizing enhancement and the multi-core processing.

I bought BobCAD V24 over a year ago and also got the V24 training videos. I highly recommend those if you are invested in the software. My ability in BobCAD dramatically increased when I finally got a CNC machine this February and start doing real cuts. I had no experience with a CAD/CAM package (or even just CAM) but I am pretty decent with 2D drawing packages.

There are a bunch of CNC machines available but I had really got down to two brands in my final selection. One of my criteria was that it not be just a hobby machine but something that could be used for a real business. I looked at frame rigidity and weights. The big tie breaker for me was this forum. The fact that I knew this forum was available and there was so much help for these machines made it almost a no brainer. Also machine support costs were a big factor for me. I started out knowing virtually nothing. With the help of this forum, I've gotten quite comfortable with the machine and its abilities. There is nobody that knows everything here but as a group, they are a genius. I also give a lot of credit to the Shopbot support forum. I've picked up some good info there but I'm not a member.

Make sure to post some of your projects, I'd like to see what you are doing in BobCAD. It is really geared at the metal heads (I love metal too), so it is not as common in the woodworking related forums.
BobCAD v25 4th Axis
Corel Draw X5
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default 4th axis

Hi 4th axis is the only area that I have not used because I haven't finished installing the 4th axis on my friends machine yet. I am sticking with Bobcad it works for me. I do however strongly recommend getting the video training cd they offer. It is invaluable to use the software. V25 has lots of upgrades and it is cheaper to upgrade than starting over with something else. V25 did have new 4th axis features with it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default files in V24

There are other files however they are to big to download here.
Attached Files
File Type: bbcd AL3 dim.bbcd (231.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: bbcd nip roll bearing.bbcd (110.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Michelle

Default Brand New

I am very new to Bob cad, and want to learn this program is there anywhere that i can go to start some very basic projects please let me know, i know nothing about this at all.. hubby bought program and cnc with plama and router and i would like to make wood signs to sell
thanks
Michelle
Old 02-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Cobra Owner

First, you should have some experience using a graphics drawing program. Next, you should be familiar with router bits. For signs, you can start out with a Vbit and a straight cutting bit.

In general, Bobcad isn't that great for doing initial sign layout and design but certainly you can do the basics and once you know it well, you can do a lot of complicated stuff. The biggest deficit for sign making is that its text manipulation and formatting aren't robust and the next biggest deficit is producing a decent looking preview to show a customer. I like to do initial layout work in Corel Draw.

That said, once you lay something out, then it is great for designing the actual tool paths whether it be for a router or a plasma cutter. It's specialty is really in machining whether it be plastic, metal, or wood. I bought it for its ability to handle multiple types of machines and its 3D capability. I had the software before I bought a router. I consider it a very good value for what it does. If you look at other 3D capable CAD/CAM programs, then you can see it stacks up well for its price point.

I recommend that you get the Bobcad video training set if you don't have that already but if you have little background in any graphic design, then you might want to invest in a basic package that might be easier for beginners. If it wasn't for the fact that I can do a lot with Corel Draw and then import it into Bobcad, I would probably purchase V-carve pro for doing signs. I'm not sure if V-carve supports sending anything to a plasma cutter though.

As far as pointing to resources to show you how to make signs, maybe Al Depoalo from Bobcad may chime in. He checks in on this forum on occasion. I know there are several tutorial videos floating out there showing how to use Bobcad. If I know a little more about your background, I might be able to throw a quick video together if you don't find something online.
BobCAD v25 4th Axis
Corel Draw X5
Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
CAMhead Legend

My Youtube page has lots of videos for you to watch...

https://www.youtube.com/user/depoalo

This video should help you getting started...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yEL9...w-skIWholtT9cA
Old 02-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Tjstamp

I use bc 25 for 90% of my stuff. very easy to use after the learning curve. but I go with top of piece as Z0. just easier for me to deal with. simulation will tell the truth in the programing. just my 2 cents. tom
Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
CAMhead Legend

The BobCAD CAM software is very diverse in it's features and Yes it offers more tool path options that most "wood working" packages.

BobCAD's design interface is like an autocad package.

Once you get the work flow down it's very powerful and I think you'll really like it.

If you want to post some images of projects you would like to copy or the kind of work you want to do I would be more than willing to put some videos together for you!

Otherwise check out these youtube channels, lots of great information here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TrotlineCNC/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBobhuh/videos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131017_205912.jpg (91.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg cut part 2.jpg (9.0 KB, 15 views)