CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > BobCAD-CAM

Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default FTC in V26?

I just got a Stinger1 (used) and am needing to get up to speed very fast. I have been using V20 for years, my parts are very simple 2D delrin sheet. I have seen a demo of the FTC and would like to try to make that work. I see on the computer some posts, looks like standard and FTC post. Does anyone know if this is doable in V26? If so, I would really appreciate getting pointed in a direction to learn how to get this going. V26 is hard enough of a transition, so I have some learning curve first just to find out how to get any gcode out of it at all. Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

You should first verify that the machine you have purchased has the FTC feature enabled.

The easiest way to get FTC working is to download one of the newer post processors from the Owners section. The directions for use and selection are there.

You will need to verify Ownership with one of the Mods here and then you will be given a password.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchapman View Post
I just got a Stinger1 (used) and am needing to get up to speed very fast. I have been using V20 for years, my parts are very simple 2D delrin sheet. I have seen a demo of the FTC and would like to try to make that work. I see on the computer some posts, looks like standard and FTC post. Does anyone know if this is doable in V26? If so, I would really appreciate getting pointed in a direction to learn how to get this going. V26 is hard enough of a transition, so I have some learning curve first just to find out how to get any gcode out of it at all. Thanks
Take some photos of the machine, open the control box and let us see the inside, also the screen on the computer provided, do you know who original owner was ?

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 PM
CAMhead Friend

Hello. Thanks for the replies. Mr. Post is upgrading to Cobra(Atlanta) as I understand it, so I took the Stinger1 which definitely has FTC. I am not at the shop now, but will be in the am. I will assume that you are suggesting the FTC works with Bobcad V26 if I can get the newer post. I have considered that I may be stuck with the V20 for cad and Gcode creation until I can get up to speed on V26. If so, would any posts work for FTC on V20? I have tested some gcode on the Stinger from prior files and they work.

On a side note, to avoid a new post, does anyone ever flip X and Y? I always have worked right to left on the long run, but this machine is set up with Y as the long run. I assume the Wincnc screen is not easy to flip even if the motors and limits were reversed. I suppose I can get used to the idea.

Nice machine btw, nice to join you guys.

These pics were on my cell from earlier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(5).jpg (40.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg photo(6).jpg (46.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by tchapman; 02-19-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Cobra Owner

Maybe I don't quite understand the FTC. Is this an automatic motion to a predesignated position in order for the operator to change the tool and then it goes to another designated point to measure the tool length and continue? Since I have an X3, I will bundle up to three tools in one G-code file. I suspect V26 post processor is very similar to V25.

When I'm manually changing tools, I guess it isn't very elegant - manually move, change tool, manually move to a place where I've set the touch plate down, measure, and then send to X0Y0 (not required but is sanity check) and run the next file.
BobCAD v25 4th Axis
Corel Draw X5
Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 PM
CAMhead Friend

The FTC allows one file that includes all tools required. When one tool is done, the machine stops and requests you to make the tool change. Once you make the change, press some button (enter maybe?) and the machine moves the tool to the tool touch sensor mounted on the side of the machine, lowers z until the tool touches the FTC touch plate, then automatically resumes cutting the part. Basically it is a autozero on tool change feature. On thing I noticed, is that when stringing together files, even if one file uses the same tool, it still does the pause>autozero process. Also, as I understand it, you must keep track of the tool required per each change as I have been told the software does not specify which tool is being requested. If this is not accurate on my part, I would hope this is corrected by someone.

Last edited by tchapman; 02-19-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Cobra Owner

You could give all your tools the designation of T1. So I guess the post processor would need to insert the move and tool measure commands each time T1 is called or when T1 is finished, which I believe is M05, stop spindle.

For example:

N21779 T1
N21780 S16000

I'm sure this can be done but very possible that Bobcad may charge you for this custom processor. They do guarantee the post processor will work with your machine for your purchase price but this takes advantage of additional capability so not sure that is covered.
BobCAD v25 4th Axis
Corel Draw X5
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Stinger II Owner

Quote:
On a side note, to avoid a new post, does anyone ever flip X and Y? I always have worked right to left on the long run, but this machine is set up with Y as the long run. I assume the Wincnc screen is not easy to flip even if the motors and limits were reversed. I suppose I can get used to the idea.
I was used to the opposite x and y directions. It didn't take very long to make the change in my mind. Because I often design horizontally on the computer, sometimes when the design is done I have to rotate everything before creating the posts. It isn't very much of a problem.

The FTC will be one of your favorite features once you get used to it. Design off the table top if you have a choice. The Z zero at the table surface I mean. It is what I now do almost always. Set tool numbers when creating the post. As long as the numbers are different the change in the tool number will trigger the macros to run that stop the machine and allow you to change the tool, then it will measure itself and continue the cutting. It is fun and very accurate. I don't have BobCAD so I can't help much.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 PM
CAMhead Friend

I don't get the concept of zero on the table. I switch between various material thickness, so I don't understand the idea of zero on the table.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 AM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

Quote:
I don't get the concept of zero on the table. I switch between various material thickness, so I don't understand the idea of zero on the table.
The spoilboard is constant, with Wincnc you can Z0 off the spoilboard and off the top of the material .... it is advised to Z0 off the top of the spoilboard with the FTC since that is where the FTC pad is calibrated to.

But as I stated you can Z0 wherever you want.
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!