CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Vacuum relief vale specs

Can someone please help me out?
I am getting ready to fire up my machine but would like to add a vacuum relief valve to the table vacuum system so I can leave the blower running during sheet swaps.
I need the specs on the valve so I can get one ordered and hook it up while I am completing the plumbing.
A little closer each day.

Thanks in advance,

Doug S
Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM
CAMhead Legend

Just add and extra valve (any type of valve - knife/gate/ball) to your manifold and don't connect it to anything - leave it open air. You might want to put a filter on the end of it. It should be at least as large as your other plumbing.

When you first start up the vacuum, make sure this valve is first opened. Then close it off. It makes start up easier on the pump. When running a job and you want to swap out material, you can leave your other zones open, then open up the extra bleed off valve. This will release pressure and let you pull off the parts with the vacuum still running. When done, just close the valve and cut again.

FYI - for those running high hp vacuum pumps, most manufacturers recommend not turning them on/off more than 3x an hour. This is because the motor windings heat up and starting a hot motor is hard on it. With the bleed off valve, this isn't a problem.

A relief valve is a different animal - it needs to be calibrated and prevents the pump from sucking harder than it is rated to run at 100% duty cycle.

-B
Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Doug you should use a 3" or 4", depending on your piping size, gate valve. It should be on a tee, a bit away from the manifold and the open end should have a filter or at least a screen. On some systems with a lot of flow, even these do not release all the vac pressure to the table
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"