CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default 5xx Machine Spoilboards

Just curious what others with 5’ machines do for your spoilboards. On the PT-508 I used a 60” wide ULDF and just hugged X0Y0 and came up a bit short on the far side (61” phenolic piece) but had enough width to still manage to secure the board. I tap and bolt the phenolic to hold my spoilboard down; and now with the elite there were slight changes in the grid and the 60” piece hugging X0Y0 no longer leaves enough room on the far side for the ULDF to cover enough dead space for tapped holes and nylon bolts. I’ve considered:

- Centering the board on the table; adjusting X0Y0 (don’t really want to do this; as I liked having a flush edge up the Y axis.
- Cutting the board (60”x144”) into 2 pieces as 2 61”x60” pieces would cover the zones evenly.
- With this idea the thought had crossed my mind of sealing the sides where the 2 pieces would meet; potentially stopping bleeding. Part of me thinks it could potentially be a bad idea but as to why I think that; I’m not sure.

Thoughts? Experiences? Open to any suggestions. Tried searching quickly from my phone for any similar posts but didn’t yield any results with ‘2 piece spoilboard’, ‘5’ wide spoilboard’, etc.
C. T. Whyte LLC
Old 11-01-2017, 07:19 PM
Cobra Owner

Change your X0Y0 so you can centre the spoil board and cover all the vacuum grid.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 11-01-2017, 07:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yeah that was one of my options; just the OCD in me likes having the flush edge on the one side for some reason. Was just wondering if anyone else cuts the board or something to cover the full piece phenolic
C. T. Whyte LLC
Old 11-02-2017, 07:34 AM
CAMaster Owner

We use regular old cheap sheets of 5x10 MDF. The 5x10mdf measures 61 x 121, so no issue for us. Not sure why your spoilboard material isnt 1" oversized. All the board around here is 1" over except plywood.

Maybe try looking for a different board that is 1" over.

Camaster Cobra 510 ATC
10HP spindle, 20HP vacuum
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 AM
CAMaster Owner

Must be the trupan 5x12 I got. For some reason when I previously got it I thought it was oversized then but only 1/2”. This time it came 60x144. Never seen any DF come like that
C. T. Whyte LLC
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Cobra Owner

I always glue on my spoilboard and then do a profile cut all around so I know the exact size of the spoilboard surface, and know exactly where each edge is. Then I am able to do 2 sided cuts on plywood sheets by lining up two edges for the first side cuts, then flipping the sheet and lining up the same edge with the other side of the spoilboard so I can index the second side cuts.

I set my machine home X0Y0 a little off the edge of the factory table so I don't have to be exact in the placement of my spoilboard before cuttings its profile.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 11-03-2017, 10:25 AM
CAMaster Stinger II Owner

domestic production mdf will almost always be 1" oversized panels. Trupan is an import and will not be oversized.
Aspire 3.5
Halainc1@gmail.com
Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM
CAMaster Owner

thanks i’m going to just center it on this sheet and next time around look for a different brand i guess.
C. T. Whyte LLC