CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 01-11-2017, 03:44 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Spoil board for Stringer II supporting vacuum and T tracks

Planning a spoil board update for my Stinger II. Would like to add vacuum and continue to use T tracks. I've read Gary Campbell's excellent write up and have read many other good comments from this forum. My work is mostly smaller parts, but I do some 4x8 sheet goods so would like to add vacuum.

What is an acceptable vacuum source for a 4x4 Stinger? Poking around online I've found a few low-cost approaches that might be acceptable. The Black Box units are nice, but not low cost. Would a Black Box Storm be sufficient for a 4x4 table? Any experience with these various lower cost approaches? Other vacuum choices I should consider?

Fein Turbo I (use 2?) $270, 151cfm, 7.2"hg
Vacuube $596, 118cfm, 10"hg
Black Box Storm $1300, 180cfm, 9.5"hg
Black Box Cyclone $1700 280cfm, 9.5"hg
Simple Box An 'open source' diy project. Iffy....$500 maybe? 180cfm?, 9.5"hg?

I've developed 2 possible plenum designs. The second one looks better to me as I would like to have a smaller section to which I'd attach smaller vacuum jigs (like my hero Russell does). I've not shown the vacuum ports as the details would be tied to the vacuum choice. Do either/both of these look workable? Good? Bad?

I plan to glue a 1/2" ULDF over a 1" MDF plenum board.

Possible design

Preferred design.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:47 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Mike...
Remember that you will not have any appreciable vacuum within 1.5" of each t track when you design your layout if using a low vacuum (<10inHg) system with a lite weight MDF bleederboard
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Gary.

So.... reduce the 'dead zones' around the T Tracks or use MDF rather than LDF for bleeder board or use a bigger vacuum or...?

I suppose another approach would be to place some sort of mechanical attachment points in some of the square 'pedestals' and skip the T track entirely. That would allow me to attach smaller, specialty hold down devices (like Russell's cool holders for chair parts) and avoid the T track complexity/weakness.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Stinger II Owner

Mike,
In 2012 this was built at the factory. I use the Fein solution and a couple clamps. The largest benefit is that is pulls the panel type material flat on the table. Last night I did a 0.4 inch thick walnut inlay that was about 30 inches square. It pulled it nice and flat on the table even though there was a little bow. I don't trust it to keep the work piece from sliding on the table so I add a couple clamps too. Last nights project was using only the 2 by 4 section of the table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-07-09-17.58-Lettered-for-web.jpg (70.6 KB, 212 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Charlie. I had not considered such a hybrid approach. That might be good enough for my purposes and would be less costly. Food for thought.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:22 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Mike...
A solution like Charlie shows where the t tracks are embedded in and are part of the plenum will work the best for a combo rig.

Use a two spoilboard approach. One from MDF with slots over the t track as a spoilboard, the other using LDF as a bleederboard that coveres all for vacuum. Make sure the slots are narrow enough to just allow access to the slot not the whole track

I have never been a fan of the dual setups as they don't allow either to perform at their best.

" I don't trust it to keep the work piece from sliding on the table so I add a couple clamps too."

I rest my case

This is like a car wash soap that has wax added. We all want it to work well so we can save time, and it does seem like a good idea. Truth is, that the mixture doesn't clean that well due to the wax and wont wax well due to the soap. But we all want it to.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Last edited by Gary Campbell; 01-11-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 PM
CAMhead Guest

Make a normal vac table and make jig with t tracks in it that is held in place with the vac table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (43.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Stinger II Owner

Confirming that what Gary reports is true. I have adjusted my expectations such that I expect the work to move (slide) on the table, hence the clamps. However, as a poor mans vacuum it works great at flattening the sheet, or holding down paper, etc. I have a 1/4 inch sheet of MDF I put on top when I want to use a knife to cut paper.

Mike, PM me if you want to talk.

I also added a T track about 4 inches from the end of the cutting table so I can have a 4 by 4 or end of a 4 by 8 on the table and still clamp the end of the sheet under the gantry parking area. That helps a lot.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Stapleton View Post
Make a normal vac table and make jig with t tracks in it that is held in place with the vac table.
Thanks Kyle. My concern with that approach is running long 3D jobs. I'd hate to have a giant vacuum running for 5+ hours for something that could be held down with a few clamps. And, I know, I know, 5+ hour 3D milling jobs are a whole do-you-really-want-to-do-that topic.

If there was a way to include a small number of physical mount points for jigs, as opposed to T tracks, that would be workable.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Use a two spoilboard approach. One from MDF with slots over the t track as a spoilboard, the other using LDF as a bleederboard that coveres all for vacuum. Make sure the slots are narrow enough to just allow access to the slot not the whole track
Thanks Gary. Just to be clear on this point, you'd have a plenum board then a slotted MDF spoil board then would lay a LDF bleeder board over both when you're using the vacuum. Right? Our would you swap the slotted MDF with the solid LDF?

Tags
hold down