CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 07-26-2017, 04:40 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Vacuum Hold Down

So I'm having issues with the vacuum hold down on our Stinger III and I'm not sure what the heck is going on. Recently had to replace spoil board and that's when issues have occurred. I've even changed it out again thinking the first piece of LDF we got was bad somehow? Anyhow, this is probably our 3-4 spoil board change and same process as always - skim .050 off both sides and run a bead of glue around the perimeter to adhere it to the table. I've even sealed the edges on this time around ( I never had before) to see if that would help. Clean all filters on the vacuum and all looks good. Gauge on Hurricane reads around 7 HG when turned on and that's pretty normal according to Tech Support. But just about everything we cut with an up cut bit pulls the material off the table no matter what size the piece is.

I've literally cut hundreds of sheets of material and never had 1 issue at all like this. We've cut 1/2" & 3/4" PVC in one pass with no issue in the past - now trying to cut even 1/8" is problematic. I realize we can use a down cut bit for the thinner materials - but we'll need to use an up cut for the thicker PVC and acrylics which have all been causing a problem. I can throw a sheet of material on the table, turn on the vacuum and can easily pull up corner of material with 1 finger without trying very hard.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated at this point as I don't know what else to do. I doubt we were lucky to cut materials like we have for the past few years to all of the sudden not be able to. I feel like something is off....but no clue what.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Stinger III w/ 1.7KW Spindle
Hurricane Vac System
Stinger Performance Package
Laser Pointer
V-Carve Pro // EnRoute 5 PRO
Oneida V System 3000
Old 07-26-2017, 05:02 PM
CAMhead Friend

After talking with the peeps at Black Box ( probably should have called them first) - we're going to be replacing the motors as I think we've ran the full course of the ones we got with the machine - they are rated for 750 hours and I'm sure we've got every bit of that over the last 3 years.

Nothing like answering your own post

Hurricane Vac System
Laser Pointer
Oneida V System 3000
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Chris...

Not to step on tech support or the guys over at Black Box, but if you do the following, I will tell you what is wrong.
I need a few reading off the vac gauge:

1) All valves closed, all motors on

2) All valves open, fresh (skimmed) spoilboard on table, nothing on top of it

3) All valves open, full sheet of ply over the spoilboard.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Last edited by Gary Campbell; 07-26-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:48 AM
CAMhead Friend

Gary - Here are the numbers requested with a freshly skimmed spoil board

1- 8.5

2- 5.5-6

3- 5.5-6

Hurricane Vac System
Laser Pointer
Oneida V System 3000
Old 07-27-2017, 11:12 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Chris...
Yup you are correct, you can't hold anything down. Your numbers show a combo platter of issues.

1) This number is a little low, your motors are showing their age, you are at altitude or you have a gasket failure under a motor(s).

2) This number is too high. Your bleeder board material does not flow air. My guess is that you or your supplier changed brands or batches. Should be 1 1/2 to 3, depending on density of the ULDF.

3) This number shows no increase over #2. It should be close to #1. Without an increase there is no vacuum to hold parts. This usually indicates a leak. Leaks can be inside the vac unit (gasket), in the plumbing, between the plumbing and table or right thru the plenum itself.

All will be difficult to find until you get a bleeder board that flows air getting #2 lower. I think there is more than one issue. Don't stop looking unti you find at least 2
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-27-2017, 03:57 PM
CAMhead Friend

Gary - Thanks for advice on this. I went ahead and ordered the new motors yesterday as I figured they were going bad and if that wasn't the case...we would have to change them eventually. I had forgot when swapped out spoil board again we actually didn't use the normal LDF board we ordered and current one is a different brand of MDF. I'll be sure to switch this out again next week to get everything back on track. Appreciate time to respond on this and teach me something new.

Thank you
Chris

Hurricane Vac System
Laser Pointer
Oneida V System 3000
Old 07-28-2017, 10:17 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thumbs up Good Advice

I think Gary's advice is good for anyone with a vacuum system. If I had known I would have checked my system on day one so I would have a baseline. I would have blocked the vacuum openings in the phenolic and it should read the same as blocking the vacuum at the box which should be 9 inches assuming relation to sea level.

I think that should be one of the tests a new owner performs as part of the integrity checks.

Great advice Gary, thank you.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net