CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > Robert Alexander

Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

She is far more serious than I !! LOL yet she really wants one and they start at 10-15 k so build i will !!

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 07-26-2017, 09:51 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
She is far more serious than I !! LOL yet she really wants one and they start at 10-15 k so build i will !!
Just remember mine is just a basic hard sided tent. If you want to customize to your liking, you can add air conditioning, microwave, hot water heater, pull out sink, pull out drawers, dvd player, a whole world of accessories. I met a person a few years back in Missoula MT, who had a decked out tear drop. he was touring the country from coat to coast. He told me he has a nice motor home sitting in his driveway at home because he liked his tear drop more than his motor home.
Corel X4 Autosketch 9 Aspire 4

"The economy is not as bad as we are led to believe. Many merchants report this year's going-out-of-business sales are much better than last year."
Old 07-27-2017, 05:32 AM
CAMaster Owner

Dammit Robert ..... I just bought an A-liner & you post plans for a teardrop. I used to like you!

Seriously, Iooked at a bunch of different teardrops, but they seemed relatively expensive for their size. We tend to be 500-600 miles farther down the road every day, so a big trailer was out of the question because of the hit on my fuel mileage.

I had no friggin' idea that plans existed to make my own.

You know, if I get to feelin' poorly, my last long trip will be to Utah to buy a casket ..........
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Cobra Owner

Robert, congratulations on that camper build. It's beautiful. I can't say I will ever build one, but I sure am having a lot of fun thinking about it. It's probably true for everybody on this forum that life is most fun when we have a project on our minds. Thanks for the inspiration and stimulation.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 07-29-2017, 11:57 PM
CAMhead Friend

Robert, might I inquire as to the investment for your "minimalist" tear drop? We do reunions out every 2 years, and every other is out west. The plain tickets this last time really got me thinking about a nice drive out there.... how many do you sleep in there? I'll go to your journal maybe it answers some of these questions! Thanks! awesome creative work!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:46 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlee1972 View Post
Looking great Robert! I see those fires didn't get you after all. We were wondering about you out there
Sorry I missed your post. Utah is a big state almost 400 miles from North to South. The big fire that was in the national news was about 250 miles south of my place. We have had a bunch of smaller fires from people with too many fireworks and not much common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
Dammit Robert ..... I just bought an A-liner & you post plans for a teardrop. I used to like you!

Seriously, Iooked at a bunch of different teardrops, but they seemed relatively expensive for their size. We tend to be 500-600 miles farther down the road every day, so a big trailer was out of the question because of the hit on my fuel mileage.

I had no friggin' idea that plans existed to make my own.

You know, if I get to feelin' poorly, my last long trip will be to Utah to buy a casket ..........
TR Most of the production tear drops are too expensive for my me. I'm just too cheap. As for gas milage, I would get 25 to 32 m.p.g. pulling my tear drop, on trips, with our Honda CRV.
As for caskets you're always welcome to head out west... but.... with the great artwork you do... you should look into the possibility of making simple flat lid caskets, with some of your artwork on the top. People like a little personalization on their caskets. And if it's top notch art work they don't mind paying more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obxwoody View Post
Robert, might I inquire as to the investment for your "minimalist" tear drop? We do reunions out every 2 years, and every other is out west. The plain tickets this last time really got me thinking about a nice drive out there.... how many do you sleep in there? I'll go to your journal maybe it answers some of these questions! Thanks! awesome creative work!
I think somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500 to $2,000. My tear drop sleeps 2 comfortably. If I take the grandkids. They sleep fine in the screenhouse/tent that attaches to the tear drop side. If I was going to do family camping with more people. I would have added another 18 inches to the length for more storage, and got a 10 by 12 foot screen room tent to attach go the teardrop. Even with that extra weight and size. The tear drop would still be under 1200 lbs. And most 4 cylinder cars can pull that.
I did some cost comparisons for some more elaborate and slightly bigger tear drops, and you can put together a nice customized to your specifications tear drop very well equipped tear drop for around $5,000 to $6,000. A lot less than the dealer $15,000 cost. Tear drops are very popular. That's probably why they are higher in cost.
Corel X4 Autosketch 9 Aspire 4

"The economy is not as bad as we are led to believe. Many merchants report this year's going-out-of-business sales are much better than last year."
Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks for that Robert. Useful info. We just had a family reunion out in Duck Creek Village. It was beautiful out there! Sounds like a long ways away from you though.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Stinger II Owner

Robert,
I always enjoy learning about your unique projects. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
projects