CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Cobra CNC Routers

Old 05-02-2018, 06:36 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Grease fittings

We always had a problem fiting a grease gun on these fittings due to clearances, anyone know of a longer fitting or other solution?
The four fittings under the gantry are so close to the aluminum that a standard grease gun nozzle doesn't fit, a co-worker early on tried to make one fit by grinding two sides of the grease gun nozzle flat, it worked for a while but the metal was ground so much the spring in the nozzle of the grease gun started coming out the side and it jammed on one of the fittings elsewhere.

There either has to be a very narrow diameter grease gun nozzle, or a longer grease fitting that extends out far enough to clear, so far searching the MSC catalogue and other sources only finds the same short fitting the CNC already has, the one extended fitting we found has different threads. We found the fitting's removable piece has 1/4x28 threads, but the body's threads are much finer, maybe 32 threads but we have not been able to figure out what it's exact size/threads is.
Surely we can't be the only one with this machine having this crazy issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC5DA8EF-A5E4-4D87-ACFB-8BAAA01175BC.jpg (88.5 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Wolff; 05-02-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:07 PM
CAMaster Owner

There is an 18 gauge needle fitting you can get at the auto parts store. Don't get that one as it is too small and you will have more grease dripping out than going into the fitting. Tractor supply has one and I wish I had posted the package number on here but have since thrown the packaging away. It has it's own zerk fitting that snaps into your grease gun. The whole thing is about 5" long and it works great! It has a tapered end and pressed tightly will not let the grease back out of the fitting. If you don't fine it at TS let me know and I will take a pic of mine and post it.

Bill
VCarve Pro
Old 05-05-2018, 04:03 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

I bought one from Amazon and it works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubri...+Needle+Nozzle

I hope this helps. Cheers.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 05-05-2018, 05:33 PM
CAMhead Friend

Have you tried McMaster Grease Fittings
Old 05-05-2018, 05:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

posting to find later

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks guys, we were able to come up with a solution I think, we found the fitting's body itself has 1/4-28 threads, but the nipple that screws into it is 27 threads, we had bought some 1" extention tubes but their 28 threads wouldn't screw in, we wound up tapping the 27 thread hole on the fitting to 28 threads, putting in a 90 degree fitting to replace the originals, and the extention into those with the nipples on their ends, now we can get at them with the grease gun from the back (inside under) the bed.

We HAVE one of those suggested needle attachments for the gun, whatever one was recommended when we bought the machine, but it's a very poor way to do this, grease just squirts back out since there's no real good seal, the zerk fittings are made to have a grease gun fitting slip over them for a positive grip and seal to overcome the little ball bearing and spring inside the nipples.

I never had so much trouble with a grease fitting like I have with these on this machine! you cant even get them out without first using needlenose pliers to unscrew the nipple out of the body- a socket doesn't have enough clearance, and then you have to work at it 1/4 turn or less with the needlenose grabbing the rounded ball part of the body and unscrewing it to get it out, and there's four of those things under the machine.
My guess is they are put on before the machine is assembled, I can only imagine the trouble if one breaks off somehow when removing a grease gun nozzle off one- you'd have to dismantle substantial parts to even get access, a very poor design from the maint and repair aspects, sometimes you have to wonder if the people who design things like actually ever work on the machines or things they design, because what looks ok on paper or the computer screen doesn't always mean it works fine in the real world.

This reminds me of the car engine that to replace the two spark plugs in the rear you couldnt unless you pulled the engine out, so they almost never got replaced. Reminds me of my G.E Washer's transmission design too, the first water leak goes perfectly right into the bottom ball bearing where it wrecks the bearing which is not designed to be replaced without tearing the whole machine apart to get at it, and then the transmission is not designed for replacing that bearing either, so for a $2 bearing the whole machine is junked.

Last edited by Wolff; 05-21-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 AM
CAMhead Legend

These bearings and fittings all have metric threads.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints

Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 AM
CAMhead Legend

Have you considered just putting a remote hose on it? Thread the hose in and put the other end wherever you need for gun access.

Something along the lines of this joint: http://greaseextensionhoses.com/

-B
Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
These bearings and fittings all have metric threads.
Wierd, because our machinist used a gage as well as a nut to check the threads and he said they were 1/4-28 for the body, but 27 for the nipple to the body, it was a lot of trouble to figure out what were used.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:59 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyWatson View Post
Have you considered just putting a remote hose on it? Thread the hose in and put the other end wherever you need for gun access.

Something along the lines of this joint: http://greaseextensionhoses.com/

-B
We had to first find what threads they are, but one issue we ran into was the two fittings facing the control box end of the machine had even more limited space since when the machine does it's initilization and moves to the end of the bed it hits that limit/calibration switch, when it does there's maybe at most 1/8" of clearance between the beam and the verticle support, so those two fittings had to be 90degree angles before the extension could be added
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4321.jpg (95.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4322.jpg (84.1 KB, 40 views)