CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger II

Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Stinger II SR-44 Crate Size?

I saw an earlier thread that provided guidance for the crate size for a Stinger II SR-44 "with recoil", but need to know the size of the crate for a Stinger II SR-44 "without recoil", particularly the width. Do tell...and thanks in advance!

The reason for my question comes down to transportation from whatever trucking depot my machine ends up at after it's journey from sunny Georgia. Local towing firms have been, um...reluctant...to be interested in hiring out for such a task (including a "no freaking way!" response from one because I wasn't already a customer) and I want to be prepared to use my own utility trailer should I not be able to work out a reasonable arrangement for a roll-back. The width of the crate is a factor on how I would configure my flat-bed trailer...I'll presumably need to block things up to clear the wheel fenders for a load wider than the 5' I have available.

I'll have to drop the crate in the driveway in front of the shop regardless because one can't get a crate wider than 72" through a 72" door. :)

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Stinger II Owner

Jim,
Sorry that I can't answer your exact question. I can report that the motors and gantry have to be at least 10 inches larger than the table on both sides. That puts it at near a minimum of 72 inches. I suspect slightly larger.

Recently I built a crate for another CNC and shipped it to Texas. That box was about a 6 foot cube, at 1500 pounds. Within the hour after we called the recommended towing company the owner arrived, loaded and secured within 15 minutes. It was below zero so that sped things up. Cost us 100 dollars to truck it to the depot 15 miles away.

The recommendation I used was from the retired highway patrol. They regularly have stuff that needs more than just a simple tow. Maybe you have a friend you can ask?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-12-30 09.36.31.jpg (99.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-12-30 09.40.11.jpg (99.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-11-2018, 05:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks, Charlie. I have a few more towing firms to contact....one states on their web site that they do non-automotive hauling, so that's promising. I was just really taken aback that the first contacts were so negative about making a buck or three helping out a local.

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 02-11-2018, 10:41 PM
CAMaster Owner

Worries of liabilities in a sue happy society creates a lot of hesitation in many these days...
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0

On order:
Cobra Elite 5 x 10 ATC
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.