CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 11:38 AM
CAMhead Legend

Default line on circle

How would you draw a line of known length from a fixed point on a circle so it would intersect the circle at the other end.

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 03-18-2018, 01:12 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Brian...
Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish?
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 03-18-2018, 03:41 PM
Cobra Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian O View Post
How would you draw a line of known length from a fixed point on a circle so it would intersect the circle at the other end.
You would draw a circle, centred on the point you know, with a radius the same length as the line. Then draw a line from the known point to the intersection of the two circles, and you know that line will the the length you want.
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com
Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 PM
CAMhead Legend

The attached file is a generalization of what I am doing. In this case I drew a half of a circle instead of a arch the lines will connect to. I then draw the other circles the diameter of the line length. Next I draw a line at the intersection of the smaller circles, this give me what I want. I was hoping there would be a better method. Is this what you were describing Russel?
Attached Files
File Type: crv lines on arch.crv (15.5 KB, 36 views)

stinger III x3

vcarve pro
Old 03-19-2018, 09:23 AM
CAMhead Legend

Using the circular copy array tool you can easily copy out the lines and circles using a common center point. You'll need to know the exact XY coordinate of the center point - Make your model space bigger and put a horizontal and vertical line in the center of the workspace to make crosshairs or just set the center of the model at 0,0 from the beginning.

Looking at your file it is possible to do what you want several different ways. When using the circular array tool, I find it best to put the line horizontal and then copy it out using the number of copies required. You can grab the corresponding circle in the copy as well. At first glance, it looks like you could also just create a polygon with the number of sides required at a specified radius (circumscribed in a circle) - the value will be the radius from the center to the points on the polygon.

Standard CAD rules apply with this stuff....meaning, never draw more than you have to when you can use an array copy or mirror.

I don't know what you are ultimately trying to do, but if your intention is to make a pattern, such as a sacred geometry type thing, be sure to be as precise as you can. Mirroring over can be helpful in lieu of other methods as well.

-B
Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hello,

Are you trying to draw a chord of a fixed length inside a circle of a given diameter?

http://www.mathcaptain.com/geometry/...-a-circle.html

Kyle
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 05-01-2018, 11:43 AM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrawford View Post
You would draw a circle, centered on the point you know, with a radius the same length as the line. Then draw a line from the known point to the intersection of the two circles, and you know that line will the the length you want.
+1
This is how I do it.

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints