CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 04:36 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Recommended bits for V carving Dibond

Hello,

What bits are good for V carving Dibond? I'm thinking something with a 60 point but wanted to get some input.

Thanks!

Kyle
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 PM
CAMhead Legend

I would avoid v-carving dibond if you can...the results are going to be crappy at best. If you must, get a 4-flute solid carbide Drill/Mill. They make them in various diameters in either 60 or 90 deg. Amana or CMT make a multi-flute v-bit which may work as well.

-B
Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hi Brady,

Thanks for responding. What I'm actually wanting to do is engrave text etc. I've seen some examples of people making signs with text and logos. I may have used the wrong term but I figured I would need some type of V carve operation to get sharp corners on text. I have some bits on hand that might work - Amana 45783 (9 carve/engrave), Amana 45780 (7.5 carve/engrave) and a 46282 (1/16 sprial tapered ball nose with 1/32 radius). A few months ago, I created a sign to celebrate a shipping milestone for our company. I cut it out of 1/8" thick 5052 aluminum and then filled the text with black paint. It was very time consuming and chipped the tip of my v carve bit (Amana 45705). I figured that in the future doing something similar in Dibond would be much faster.

Kyle
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 03-12-2018, 02:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

Here are some photos of what I want to do with dibond.

https://www.static.frontsigns.com/up...ved-dibond.jpg
https://www.static.frontsigns.com/up...ngraving-1.jpg

Kyle
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM
CAMaster Owner

Here is a video of what I want to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yb-ucJAO6M

Brady, are you referring to these types of bits?

http://stoneycnc.com/en/components/cutters/v-groove/134

Thanks,

Kyle
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 PM
CAMhead Legend

Kyle,
Yes - something solid carbide & multi-flute is the direction you want to go in. If you're in the States, A CMT Laser Point bit is probably going to be the closest to that as you'll find to the UK one. You want the 60 if you're doing small lettering. Some people also like these from Centurian Tools in Virginia - which are also 3-flute and solid carbide.

I'm not sure how large of a panel you want to v-carve, but keep in mind that if you want it to look nice & consistent all the way across, you need a VERY flat table to do it. Be sure to surface your spoilboard RIGHT BEFORE you machine it. If keeping things flat is a problem or there is a lot of variation, it is also possible to cheat a bit by breaking the toolpath up into zones and Zzeroing in each zone before running the corresponding toolpath. There's not much material there...with the thickest I think like 6mm or something.

One more thing...this is kind of an exotic application of v-carving. Not saying a number of us haven't tried it - but you don't see it too often. Luckily for you, that guys posted a vid and you were able to track it down...keep in mind what one man can do, another can do & what one 3-axis router can do, another can do...you just gotta get in there and do it. Do some practice runs in a small area so you don't eat up your sheet if the real thing is messed up right out of the gate...Slow your speeds down for v-carving and your corners will be tighter and sharper...I'd shoot for somewhere around 60-90 IPM and adjust as you see fit.

-B
Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 PM
CAMaster Owner

Kyle,
I've cut a lot of 3mm Dibond and other brands of ACM, I also inlaid the Dibond with photography mounted on acrylic (basically a frame of Dibond). Never tried to v-carve. However............

When simply cutting shapes, I used a 3/16" single flute O, up-cut, but I cut it face down because the "up" edge leaves a burr that must be sanded off or otherwise removed. Also less chance of accidently scratching the finished surface.

Plunging with the above tool will leave a tiny divot that is visible in the metal, so raaaaaaamp in more for that reason than for the usual ones.

When pocketing down into the plastic part, I would lead into the perimeter cut with a down-cut first, then complete the pocket with either the down or the up.

Just my experience with this, hope it helps.

Carlos
Old 03-12-2018, 05:26 PM
CAMaster Owner

Oh, in the video they had a constant flow of air. that is critical because the tiny aluminum chips will weld to the black plastic core and are really really tough to clean out.

Carlos
Old 03-12-2018, 06:40 PM
CAMhead Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcanseco View Post
Oh, in the video they had a constant flow of air.
Compressed air blowing on the bit never hurts...however most of the time there is enough airflow in the dust collector foot to cool the bit - probably even better than the compressed air would.

-B
Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses! I am located in the US - Duluth, GA. I just found that video as an example. Here are some pictures of the actual plate I made a few months ago. It's the first time I had ever done anything like this. I actually ran the program a couple of times to clean out the cuts. Between the cutting and the filling in with black paint, I had quite a bit of time in it so I want to find a more efficient way to do it even though this one was pretty much a one-off. The plate is about 11 x 17.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Duluth, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10

Last edited by kjoiner; 03-13-2018 at 08:40 AM.