CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room!

Old 02-12-2018, 01:17 AM
Camaster Owner

Default Save the Date!

So this was a pretty cool little project I did for my Mother in Law. I don't have a CNC laser, so what I did was applied a few coats of spray lacquer to 1/4" baltic birch. Sanded in between coats, I programmed a few different fonts I found online till we got one we all liked. Once I was done lacquering, I engraved using Amana "In Groove" insert v bits.

Then I applied General Finishes Java gel based stain to the engrave, and wiped off the rest. To cut the shapes out, I used a 1/16" end mill.

This is one of my favorite items I have worked on. I love the different steps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 05, 7 09 38 PM.jpg (87.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 09, 7 35 05 PM.jpg (91.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 09, 8 13 04 PM.jpg (87.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 09, 6 11 42 PM.jpg (89.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 09, 7 03 04 PM.jpg (87.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Apr 09, 7 03 20 PM.jpg (85.7 KB, 56 views)

CAMaster Stinger III
Old 02-12-2018, 04:48 AM
CAMaster Owner

All of your projects are look good...post more when you have time. Subscribed to this thread.

IG: @teamleaderindustriesllc
FB: Facebook.com/teamleaderindustriesllc

Stinger SR-48 - 2015
HSD 4.2 HP (ATC)
FTC with laser
Aspire 8.5, WinCNC
Extended Gantry
Hurricane Vac System
Oneida V5000
Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
CAMaster Owner

Thumbs up Clean cut on plywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieM View Post
This is just great man...I am having the time of my life with my machine! Doing all kinds of neat "stuff"...buying cool tools. And is it me or am I the only person that loves the smell of new tooling? It's always fun getting packages (not mail, because mail is usually bills) but man, something sparks when I know the package has tooling!

My Wife and I just started our own little company this past January, and I worked my tail off to get our Stinger III. Now it has been up and running for almost three full months, and I feel very comfortable with it. This is our first CNC machine, but its no where near the first I've used. It is the first "small" machine I have used, both of us (the machine and I) are doing just fine.

We are just starting to market ourselves a little bit, its actually been two weeks and we set up all kinds of social media accounts, joined a local forum, contacted a few companies (27 actually). We are a job shop, cnc routing services. So everyone reading this will actually watch us grow...I hope! We've done a couple of little jobs, nothing too crazy...we are just starting out and putting a little buzz in everyone's ear.

We have a lot of stuff to make...a few phone calls and inquires that may lead to something. In them mean time...this may not be GRANDE, or so awesome you'll spit your coffee out when you see the pics...but its the beginning to something I love to do.
EddieM: That's a really clean cut. Can you share your settings/tool choice? i.e. feeds and speeds, end mill type (down, or up cut or compression) etc.

Thank you
Performance Package Pro
Phenolic Table Top
Software - WinCNC
Design Software - CUT2D

Last edited by abesau; 02-12-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
All of your projects are look good...post more when you have time. Subscribed to this thread.
Thank you Sir! I'm about to upload a ton of pictures of a chair I made. Its pretty cool.

CAMaster Stinger III
Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by abesau View Post
EddieM: That's a really clean cut. Can you share your settings/tool choice? i.e. feeds and speeds, end mill type (down, or up cut or compression) etc.

Thank you
Thanks! But you haven't seen the uppy closy pictures!

One picture is 3/4" baltic birch, another picture is 1/2" baltic birch, and then I have two pictures thats 1/4" baltic birch. All cuts are not sanded, they were like that straight off the CNC table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 22, 3 00 51 AM.jpg (89.6 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 27, 8 45 44 PM.jpg (86.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 18, 11 00 31 PM.jpg (77.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Photo May 18, 11 00 12 PM.jpg (81.4 KB, 51 views)

CAMaster Stinger III
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 PM
Camaster Owner

Default Morris Chair

I have a small infatuation with Morris Chair, especially the new ones made by Stickley. I have also wanted to make this for YEARS and I finally got a chance to a while back.

I did an Sketch Up model from a Morris Chair that I measured at my local Stickley Store. Even though I had a 3D model completed, I figured everything out in AutoCAD.

I wanted to do something very different with my chair as well. I do love the quarter sawn look of white oak, put I really like the layers of plywood when you stack 5 or 6 sheets together...so I figured out a way how to marry it all together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (78.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg cad.JPG (24.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 1452529_1238022739545466_3460016080202498237_n.jpg (58.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 1934138_1238022732878800_856458177020220126_n.jpg (98.3 KB, 42 views)

CAMaster Stinger III
Old 02-23-2018, 10:41 AM
CAMaster Owner

I like that effect of laminating the BB...it should result in a striking looking project!

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 02-23-2018, 08:33 PM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
I like that effect of laminating the BB...it should result in a striking looking project!
Thank you! The project came out really good! I'm just starting to upload a few more pictures of my build process.

CAMaster Stinger III
Old 02-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Camaster Owner

Default Morris Chair

Once I finished designing my parts, I manually nested them using AutoCAD (you can see that in the other pictures). I imported my .dwg file from AutoCAD into Aspire to create all the toolpath's. Once the tool pathing was complete, it was time to cut them out! I had a few sheets worth of parts, I don't think I took a picture of all the sheets cut up.

If you noticed in the pictures, there are a ton of holes. Some of these holes go completely through the material, and some of the holes only go part way in. I thought since I was making "solid" parts from 3/4" BB, I would use dowels to help with alignment when gluing them together.

The part that I'm showing here is the vertical rail for the chair back. If you look at the last pictures (I apologize for not having it rotated), you can see a large hole. This whole will be the pivot point to make the back recline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 10, 10 55 58 AM.jpg (92.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 11, 8 16 52 PM.jpg (87.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 11, 6 35 09 PM.jpg (94.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 11, 7 27 56 PM.jpg (86.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 11, 9 25 26 PM.jpg (88.5 KB, 26 views)

CAMaster Stinger III
Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 PM
Camaster Owner

Default Morris Chair

The next series of pictures I have here is the sides of the chair. This is where things get a little complicated.

For the sides, I needed to have the legs laminated together, have the top rail and bottom rail pockets lined up as perfect as possible for the vertical spindles, and make sure the arm rest was going to fit the way I wanted it to fit.

The first picture shows the legs, top rail, bottom rail, spindles and arm rest all put together. The second picture is a front elevation of the chair with the legs, bottom rail and arm rests. If you notice, my chair is made with all thru-tendon and mortise. I wanted this to be a close to the real thing, just plywood and CNC action.

I decided to try what I thought was the easiest thing to do; I needed to get the square pockets made into my top and bottom rails for the sides. I made a jig that sandwiches my 3/4" BB part so I could use my mortiser. The last four pictures show how the top rail on the side goes into the jig. Since the top rail is slanted for the slanted arm rests, I needed to make it level for the mortiser....hopefully this all makes sense when everyone goes through the posts with the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (26.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (18.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 13, 4 49 31 PM.jpg (93.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 13, 5 26 39 PM.jpg (89.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 13, 5 29 46 PM.jpg (90.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Nov 13, 5 29 58 PM.jpg (90.9 KB, 14 views)

CAMaster Stinger III