CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > How To Use This Forum > FAQ Frequently Asked Questions

Old 04-02-2018, 08:19 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default New guy help

So I created a sign on vcarve pro and now trying to set the position right on my stinger 1. When I do the dry run the machine is cutting off the spoil board. I have the ftc option and know I need to do touch top and then what. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:34 PM
CAMaster Owner

When you created your file in vcarve pro, where did you set your X,Y0? This is where you need to actually set the machine when you place your piece on the spoil board. For example, if you started your file at the lower left corner, once you have your piece on the bed you need to set the machine X0,Y0 on the lower left of the piece. It sounds like you may have missed that step before running your file. Also be sure to remember where you set Z0...to the bottom or the top of the piece. Bad things happen if you switch those....ask me how I know!

Is your FTC turned on by Camaster? They have it turned off on new machines until the user gets a bit familiar with basic operation. Then you call tech support and they walk you thriugh using the FTC.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10

Last edited by drummerjg; 04-02-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 PM
CAMhead Friend

Yup I set it to the left bottom corner. Should I make the file ad big as my bed so it registers where on the table I want to start and move the piece in vcarve for example in the center of the bench? Thanks again
Old 04-03-2018, 02:39 PM
CAMaster Owner

The file only needs to the size of the piece, put it where you want.

Wherever you set xy datum position in job setup, put the bit right there on the piece. You can choose any that work for you. Use a vbit if you need it really precise.

as far as z0, if you are going to use the touch top on wincnc make sure you have the z zero position on material surface in job set up.

If you are using the ftc and measure tool button ( which I don't think you are yet ) Set the z zero to machine bed in job setup. Material thickness becomes pretty important here, measure with a micrometer of some sort.

Basically when the ftc is being used you never touch top, you only measure tool. ( after you surface you r spoilboard and calibrate )

One thing I do is when I'm making something small I screw it to a piece of mdf and vacuum it down.
I will run my gantry in the x axis along the edge of the piece to make sure I have everything square and usually put my zy zero in the middle of the piece and use touch top.

There are ton of great vectric videos that will walk you right through this better than an essay ever will.

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve 9, Mozaik