CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Cobra CNC Routers

Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
Open your file manager on the computer and fine your WinCNC folder. There you will find a subfolder door log files. If there is a file in that folder open it with something like excel. It keeps a log of your machine operation, timing, etc.
I think I found the file, but it starts off around 2009 and we bought the machine new in 2015, maybe the date hadnt been set right at that early stage,
Old 04-03-2018, 01:41 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
Yes...
Those are the spur gears, there are 2 on the Y, and 1 on the X. No timing issues as your machine has independent auto square. Make sure the set screws are tight and the belts are nice and snug.
I guess my foreman isn't happy that the spur gears "wore out so fast" I tried to suggest the machine has been used a lot more hours than he thinks, not to mention at way too fast a plunge speed etc...
It's not like those gears are bathed in oil in a crankcase or greased with grease fittings, and being small diameter they roll fast and have a pretty good loading on them too.

What ballpark do you think these run Gary? I'm guessing probably the 3 of them are under $100, the rack gears I know don't come cheap, I was looking at some for a personal project and the rack gears were something like $50 a foot!

Last edited by Wolff; 04-03-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:19 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

A few things...
I am not saying that they are worn, I said they sounded a bit "toothy" There are adjustments that can cause that along with worn gears.

I would suggest that contact CAMaster support. Along with the price of the products they can advise you how to test if they are worn, how to replace and adjust, and provide lube and other maintenance information.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-03-2018, 03:36 PM
CAMhead Friend

Gary,

I did a search and found references to candle wax, but no specific paraffin products.

Would you suggest using something like a dry lube for bicycle chains. Maybe DuPont Chain Saver, which is a dry wax with Teflon, and is only $7 a can. Or Boeshield, which is also a paraffin based dry lubricant thatd would coat more evenly than candle wax.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:56 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Just plain ol paraffin, not candle wax. At the grocery store in the canning dept. Scrub it over the teeth once a week.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 04-03-2018, 05:21 PM
CAMhead Friend

All the paraffin canning wax says it's also for candles, so I'm not sure of the difference. I guess you thought I meant rubbing a candle against the rack, and if it isn't a hard candle, it would probably have a similar effect and smell nice.

Is the canning paraffin better than the Dupont Paraffin/Teflon stuff, or just cheaper?
Old 04-03-2018, 05:57 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
A few things...
I am not saying that they are worn, I said they sounded a bit "toothy" There are adjustments that can cause that along with worn gears.

I would suggest that contact CAMaster support. Along with the price of the products they can advise you how to test if they are worn, how to replace and adjust, and provide lube and other maintenance information.
Thanks Gary, I interpreted "toothy" to mean worn, or at least getting there. I can look into it.
We slowed the plunge rate from the 450 or so that it was to 150 and the feed to 400, and I have been running it today using ramps as well, runs much nicer and cuts perfectly now.

What I typically use in the wood shop on some machines where you of course cant put grease or oil, like under and inside a tablesaw where sawdust collects- I use Johnsons' paste wax and brush it on gears and things with an acid brush, it works well for certain things and doesn't get grease all over your clothes or collect dust like oils do. I gave the spur gears and the racks that treatment today.

The Powermatic tablesaw we have says somewhere in it's manual to use the paste wax on the blade tilt and raise gearing in the cabinet, where those are exposed to lots of sawdust. So like that the CNC's rack rails would do fine I think with the paste wax.

Last edited by Wolff; 04-03-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:32 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
Gary,

I did a search and found references to candle wax, but no specific paraffin products.
Probably the same except maybe the wax used for candles has some colorant and scent added. As I remember- wax is a waste byproduct of the petroleum refining process.