CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > Vacuum, work holding, dust collection

Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
mmunyon

Default Vacuum Suggestions for Stinger Vacuum Table

I'm new to the forum and brushing up on my CNC knowledge from about 7 years ago.

I recently purchased a Stinger for our company to do aluminum panel fabrication and some basic woodcarving. Generally these pieces average between the size of a Single Gang electric box cover up to 18"x18". I hooked up a 6.5HP Shop Vac that we have lying around our shop to prep the MDF board, which worked for that but once I tried to place a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet it didn't have nearly enough suction.

I am going to attach the MDF board to the vacuum table with countersunk screws to minimize air flow gaps, but I would like some suggestions in regards to particular vacuum/dust extraction setups that people have used with good results (CFM's , HP, Brands, etc...). I've heard of people using the Fein Turbo III vac, but honestly if I'm going to spend that much money I'd rather buy a dust extractor.

Look forward to your responses. Finally got to start playing with this yesterday after buying it almost 2 weeks ago. Its nice to be busy but I hate neglecting new toys!

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

a standard shopvac is 50% or less the cfm and vac values of the fien (larger one) i have several of these, small thinner aluminum parts need a lot of vac to hold them down. i have a 5hp fpz regen that would work well for a stinger, i now use larger vacs

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
CAMaster Stinger II Owner

I originally had one of the small 24 x 36 vacuum tables that Paul S. designed connected to a Fein Turbo III. Worked very well as a hold down, even for small er parts. I recently built a full 48x48 vacuum table connected to two Fein IIIs, and have had similarly gratifying results, even with slippery melamine.

Although this probably isn't as relevant for cutting metal, I use the guys recommendations for an onion skin technique. When cutting .75" melamine, I cut things out in two paths. The first path cuts down to 0.7" with the dust collector on. The last path cuts only 0.05 or so with the dust collector off and the vacuums seem to hold even relatively small flat parts in place without moving.

Richard
Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Would anyone have an Idea of how much flow the 24"x36" Paul designed vacuum table will suck in CFM in ideal conditions and how much vacuum I need in Inches of water? The one for the Stinger 1 table. This will help me get a vacuum pump that works as my installed shop vac at 7.5" H2O will hold against side force but not enough.
Gast looks like they have some good blowers and people are dumping them on Ebay.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 PM
CAMaster Owner

surely you mean 7.5"Hg? 7.5"wc would barely hold anything

Tags
vacuum table