CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > New CNC Setup. > materials and bits, collets, etc.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:00 AM
CAMhead Friend

Default to Vortex tooling or not to Vortex tool? That is the question.

I am looking for information from the seasoned CNC Router guys. I am new to the CNC Router world however I am a programmer/set up/operator/scheduler/maintenance/whatever needs done on a Hurco VMC, Doosan turning center, as well as a couple manual mills and lathes so I am not totally new to the importance of quality tooling. I am looking at taking possession of my Stinger II SR-44 either the 1st or 2nd week of August. My question is does anybody have information about the quality of Vortex router tools for all materials? I am looking to be ready to cut Natural woods, Ply, MDF, Plastics, Aluminum and anything in between as soon as my Stinger makes her appearance. Vortex has a nice incentive for first time customer purchase especially with the amount of tooling I am looking to purchase right out of the gate.

Thanks in advance,

Stinger II SR-44
3.5 HP Milwaukee Router
Performance Pro Package
Nema 34 900 oz Motors
4th Axis Ready
2" Gantry Lift
Graphtec CE6000-120 Vinyl cutter
BossLaser LS3655 150 watt
AutoCAD
VCarve Pro 8.0
Photo VCarve 8.0
CorelDraw 2017

www.carnaeder.com
Old 06-18-2015, 01:58 PM
CAMhead Friend

I don't think you can go wrong with them. The few I have used have been the sharpest of any bits I have owned.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Stinger II Owner

I have used them and they look like good quality.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Cobra Owner

I have never used vortex, but I'm sure they are very good cutters. For my money I like to use Atrax (made in USA) end mills from Enco. They cut clean and last a long time. I cut mainly very hard woods (rosewood, wenge, padauk, purpleheart, walnut, cherry, sapele) and some corian. For the price of one vortex 1/4" cutter I can buy three 1/4" end mills plus lunch. I'm not saying the endmills I buy are better, but they are good enough for my work, and they really last. See screenshots below for comparison (the vortex has 1/8" longer cutting length, but that wouldn't make a difference for most work). Enco has sales often, so I wait and stock up when I get 20% off + free shipping. You can't beat it IMHO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vortex.jpg (92.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg enco.25.JPG (73.6 KB, 56 views)
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5 View Post
For the price of one vortex 1/4" cutter I can buy three 1/4" end mills plus lunch. I'm not saying the endmills I buy are better, but they are good enough for my work, and they really last. See screenshots below for comparison (the vortex has 1/8" longer cutting length, but that wouldn't make a difference for most work). You can't beat it IMHO.
+1 on end mills being cost effective substitutes for "router bits". Of course tooling specifically designed for cutting wood and cellulose based composites (plywood, MDF, particle board) are going to have slightly different metallurgical properties and cutting geometry than tooling designed for milling metals. However, like de5, we use metal cutting end mills frequently and generally find their performance comparable to wood specific tooling for the work that we're doing. That being said, there are many wood/router specific tools that you would probably never put in a milling machine (downcut, compression, tapered ball nose, reduced neck extra long, etc) which you will have to buy from the more wood/router specific vendors.

So, if you want to save some $ for those specialized tools, give end mills a try for the plain old spiral upcuts.

BTW, Vortex makes fantastic tooling in the US and has great tech support and customer service, I would not hesitate to recommend their products.

Good luck,
-kevin