CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Cabinetmaking

Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 AM
CAMhead Friend

Default contour edgebanding

I have a few counters etc with radius that need edgebanding.
I do not want to use the iron on edgbanding. anyone use the handheld, gluepot banders (co-matic, viretux) for this operation? I am thinking about getting one of them and would like some feedback if you own or operated one.
thanks
Brian
Old 12-12-2014, 09:05 AM
CAMhead Friend

Default Contour edgebanding

If you just have a few to do, I suggest you use contact cement. Spray or roll/brush on would work well. I have a Virutex EB10 which will do contours, but it was a pain to configure. I also have a big Brandt Optimat KD production automatic bander. From my experience, any Edgebander is finicky and prone to issues. As for any new equipment purchase, do your homework and if the cost of the machine is justified and you can't do it another way practically, then go ahead. I would caution you to seriously consider avoiding purchasing a new piece of equipment for a job you already have, needing to be done. hope that helps.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:13 AM
CAMhead Friend

I have a Holzher 1402 HF bander that I use for straight work. I used iron on in the past and contact cement for laminate. Contact is not recommended for veneer work which is what this job is. Why do you caution me not to purchase a machine for a job I already have?
Old 12-12-2014, 04:17 PM
CAMhead Friend

Before I got a handheld gluepot bander I used to use t-molding for radius work. The colors are limited, but I used the closest solid color to the laminate that I was trying to match.

I haven't used to the handheld bander enough to say whether it's good or bad. I will say that it wasn't very easy to use on the job that I did use it on, but that may be because I haven't gotten used to it yet.