CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 04-28-2018, 01:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Servo life

I've read some disturbing comments on other sites concerning the failure rate of the drive motors. How often do these need replaced? Is it a maintenance issue or is it normal for them to wear out in less than a year?

Thanks
Ron
Old 04-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

Mine are 6 years old and are left on most of the time,, no failure yet

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 04-28-2018, 02:13 PM
CAMaster Owner

Ron, keep in mind that "on the Internet" you're more likely to hear negative things about something rather than positive things. Why? Because humans are more likely to complain out loud than praise out loud. (it's a societal problem, IMHO) Like anything, I'm sure there are things that fail on CNC machines from time to time, but I seriously doubt that there's any kind of epidemic, especially at the level of quality that the kinds of machines you are considering hold.

Not really something to fret about, IMHO...

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 04-28-2018, 03:10 PM
CAMaster Owner

I realize that, but was just curious how long these last.

How do you like your new one?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:27 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks good to know. Is there a secret to their long life or is it just how well they are made?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post

How do you like your new one?
"Over the moon" happy... :)

SR-44, 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 04-28-2018, 03:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Glad to hear that!
Old 04-29-2018, 01:55 AM
CAMaster Owner

While I am not "dissing" your sources of information, I thought I was going to drive myself batty when attempting to dissect all of the opinions about CNC machines out there in the beginning. I sincerely believe if you lined up 10 people on a proverbial wall and asked any question, the chances you would receive 9-10 varying answers are quite high. While not intending any disrespect to hobbyists, when I am seeking the type information you are seeking, I only seek out the high production guys for guidance. Why interrogate the individual putting 300 hr hours annually on their machine when I can seek out many production operators seeing 2k annual hours?

We looked at all the American made machines and only glanced at the overseas brands. We settled on CAMaster for many solid reasons of which only you can research and come to the conclusion of yourself. I spent time at the factory (have made 4 trips there since this time last year) and have met many of the CAMaster team. I spent quite a bit of time today, a Saturday at that, in SC at an event where I talked extensively with the owner of CAMaster who gave and gave freely of his time. I can say the same about my experience with their sales and service department. I know Thomas (owner), Cody and Grant (sales), Michael and Luke (tech support) by name and face quite well. These individuals have a sincere interest in my success and it shows every time I seek their guidance. We have had our Panther almost a year now and have a Cobra on order. Were I to have ANY INKLING of the remotest doubt in regards to this team and their product I just listed, I give you my word I would be diligently searching out my other options (brands).

Let's take a moment and put this in perspective. A CNC is a man made machine composed of man made parts. If and when you visit the factory, one of the things that you will notice and that will be expounded upon is CAMaster machines a lot of their parts themselves because they simply can not find the consistent reliability they demand from vendors of certain components. Like any successful corporation, they are continually seeking to upgrade and improve their models which is apparent to anyone looking close enough. As to these parts you questioned, look on this forum and search long and hard. These moderators are not employees of nor compensated by CAMaster in any way. This forum is of the users, by the users, and for the users. This is obvious to all who take the time to look. If there were the kind of issues you referenced, it would be on this forum.

Lastly, and I know you know this albeit I just want to remind you.......always, always, always consider the source of the info provided (such as the source for your question). I am in no way saying CAMaster does not have challenges from time to time (although I have not experienced it) but I am emphatically stating you can not find a team behind the product that exceeds the team at CAMaster. A sales department can only sell one machine, the first machine, to a customer. Every sale to that individual after that is made strictly by the service department (this was discussed today with the owner of CAMaster) and you won't go wrong with CAMaster in this regard. I hope I am not speaking out of turn with this statement but I met several men this weekend that are now proverbial legends in CNC. After speaking with them in person for the first time this week, I can assure you, Jim McGrew would not be on CAMaster #6 or #7 nor would Mick Martin be on CAMaster #3 shopping for #4 this weekend, just to list a couple examples.

I hope I have not rambled and deluged you with too much useless info but I wanted to reply because it is a subject I am very passionate about. While I hope you go with CAMaster and become a valuable member of our community here, at the end of the day, you and only you can make that decision.

Best wishes
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.

Last edited by Rlee1972; 04-29-2018 at 01:57 AM. Reason: grammar error