CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > Vectric - Aspire

Old 09-11-2018, 11:59 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHEPEBC View Post
So if the trough is 3/8" deep at the shallow point, rough out the trough with a regular Oflute UC bit then program the hollowed out part with the fluting tool and a series of lines to bring the trough to a finish taper? Do you have a recommendation on distance between the lines when you finish cut? or at least to start with? Makes sense to do it that way though to clear the area so the bit doesn't have so much loading on it. Thanks !
I thought you were talking about the larger "collection" trough at the end which normally wouldn't have a tapered bottom. Hence, my suggestion for the "large area clearance" in a pocketing toolpath. But for other areas, I'm guessing that you'll have to depend upon the step-over setting to insure a smooth bottom with the ball nose. You don't have to do this whole job with just "one" toolpath or toolpath method. My bad for any assumptions.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 09-11-2018, 12:26 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
I thought you were talking about the larger "collection" trough at the end which normally wouldn't have a tapered bottom. Hence, my suggestion for the "large area clearance" in a pocketing toolpath. But for other areas, I'm guessing that you'll have to depend upon the step-over setting to insure a smooth bottom with the ball nose. You don't have to do this whole job with just "one" toolpath or toolpath method. My bad for any assumptions.
Oh ok gotcha. I do like the idea though you had of clearing it out with one bit and then coming back with the ball nose and making the fluting tool path like a finishing pass to bring it to depth. basically the pocket tool path being used as a large area clearance tool path. I am going to play with some plywood and will post how it went in case anyone else ever comes across the same situation. Thanks for the help/suggestions guys!
Old 09-11-2018, 01:32 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yea, you have to think about a project like this as a series of more than one operation and use the best tool path for each of those operations. You have the precision for it all to look like one nice cut in the end, but by breaking things up, you can optimize the whole job for both cutting and end result.

The "juice collection" area of a cutting board is almost always flat bottomed because it's a container. Treat it that way in your design and tool path. The channels that typically surround the edges of the board are shallower at the opposite end of the "juice collection" area and slope toward that area in both directions. Any channels in the center of the board slope toward the collection area as well. The fluting tool paths have starting and ending points that you need to have in the right order so the slopes go where you want them too as they cut from shallow to deeper. Think that through and you'll have it done before you can blink. And yea...run this in scrape first!

One of the fancy design things you can explore with a project like this is to move the collection container to a corner of the board (typically either front or back right while facing the board in use) and also create a short, shallow, angular channel from the corner of the collection area to the corner of the board. That allows for easier draining... :)

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us

Last edited by Jim_in_PA; 09-11-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 PM
CAMhead Friend

ok so I tried the fluting tool and you guys are right, that is the way to go. My only question is if i make my first depth (start depth) 0.25 and my second 0.3125, will that make the final depth .5625 at the deepest spot (from material surface)? Is it from material surface down or from the original depth down? basically if i want the end to be (from the surface of material) 0.5 deep, I should make the initial 0.25" and also the flute depth 0.25". I hope this makes sense. I tried it on some scrap wood and I am getting a final depth of 9/16ish when I really wanted 1/2ish.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:28 PM
Stinger II Owner

I'm not at my machine now but use the toolpath preview to figure it out. After the preview is displayed, hover the mouse over the cut areas. The z dimension is displayed on the lower right part of the screen.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:21 AM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
I'm not at my machine now but use the toolpath preview to figure it out. After the preview is displayed, hover the mouse over the cut areas. The z dimension is displayed on the lower right part of the screen.
I did not know that but will check that when I get back to the machine. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

I had never really considered fluting. I made this sample though.

Tool 1 (.25 endmill)
start depth 0
cut depth .25

tool 2 (.25 flute)
start depth .25
flute depth .25

Total depth of toolpaths .5
Attached Files
File Type: crv Sample drain fluting.crv (59.0 KB, 2 views)

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik

Last edited by The real JP; 09-14-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 PM
CAMhead Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
I had never really considered fluting. I made this sample though.

Tool 1 (.25 endmill)
start depth 0
cut depth .25

tool 2 (.25 flute)
start depth .25
flute depth .25

Total depth of toolpaths .5
Yup then that is it! thanks! I have to include my first depth of cut with my final if I need to hold the final a certain depth. So if i want a slot 0.625 deep and my first cut is 0.25 deep it needs to be

tool 2 (.25 flute)
start depth 0.25
flute depth 0.375

Total depth: 0.625

Thanks for doing that program!