CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers

Old 09-13-2018, 07:37 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default power requirements

Looking to purchase a surge suppressor and circuit protection for new Stinger 1. Anyone have suggestions of size or vendor?

Tom Warner
Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 PM
CAMaster Owner

Router or spindle and if the latter, which one?

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 09-13-2018, 08:30 PM
CAMaster Owner

Here are some things that may interest you.
For a 120/240v typical home panel surge protection.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-51120...50601837&psc=1

Put a ups on your pc and ethernet cable.
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...s&keywords=ups

There are also some camper style surge/boost devices.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...hes+autoformer

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 09-13-2018, 08:53 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default power

My stinger has the Milwaukee router.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:21 PM
CAMhead Friend

Go for the whole house protection. My dad & mom had one installed after a remodel and had two triggering events over the next 20 years. When you think of all of the appliances with circuit boards, air conditioning units, pool controllers, computers, tv sets, phone systems, and everything else there is that can get fried, you'd feel pretty silly if you protected the CNC and lost the rest of it.

A direct hit on the house is still likely to take everything out, but this will protect you from anything that comes in between the electric company (on your side of the transformer) and your main panel. I've had two transformer blowouts in my lifetime (on transformers that served only my house). The lightning arrestor "fuses" take care of anything that hits the supply side before the transformer, but, after that, anything can happen. One was the result of a squirrel (which they found, still smoking, on top of the transformer), they never did figure out the other one and there was no lightning that day. There was no damaging surge...only power loss until the transformer was replaced.

About 30 years ago, my across-the-street neighbor had a direct lightning hit that jumped from a tree to her attached carport that shared a roof with the house, blowing 4 x 8 sheets of the plywood ceiling off before travelling into the house, and they had to gut the house and replace every bit of wiring and plumbing (and everything connected to the wiring). It melted clocks. It melted the solder in the copper pipe connections, it blew a piece of baseboard molding off the wall and stuck it in the sheetrock on the opposite side of the living room. The carpet was melted with little burn marks everywhere one of the "points" in the carpet tack strip was located. She was in bed asleep and ended up on the floor...deaf for hours. I investigated and found her wandering around outside dazed (and unable to hear me) in her nightgown and I called the fire department. Pretty impressive.

A UPS will keep the computer from re-booting in a power glitch (a fairly common thing, at least around here), but it would take one heck of a backup battery to provide continued power to the machine. I've used these on computers for decades, and no matter whether I buy the cheap "Costco Special" or one that costs 3 x as much, the batteries seem to last about 3 years before the whole thing goes south. I haven't had one on my main work computer for a couple of years (laptops don't matter), and I've had a couple of re-boots due to power drop-outs, but Windows has learned to deal with this kind of thing pretty well over the last decade...as long as you aren't in the middle of a critical disk-write when it happens.

Lightning is your main enemy. Any sailboat in the water in Florida stands a 3% chance of getting struck in any given year. My boat is on the Texas coast, and other boats in the marina are struck here and there with some regularity. My masts are carbon fibre (which is relatively conductive) and 53' above the water, much higher than most. So far, I've been lucky.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

My experiences with lightning over the years has taught me that a there is nothing you can do to stop a large lightning strike. Usually the damage is on the ground leg which is not protected. Lightning want to go to ground the easiest way possible and it is very difficult to predict its path.

Much like prevention of hackers on your computer you have to unplug to have a guarantee. I have tried many different methods including whole house but I find surge suppressors on each device I need to protect works best. It is much easier and cheaper to replace them than the device itself. Anything big like my Stinger I or other wood shop tools i.e. SawStop, jointer, planer etc. I unplug. All my computers have surge and UPS devices on them.

The two times I have been hit which I have related on here in the past it was on the ground side and both were expensive and time consuming to fix.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net