CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Software > Mozaik Software

Old 10-07-2017, 07:01 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Mozaik first attempts are cutting too deep

Hi, we're testing out the Mozaik software for the first time for some shop cabs, and the holes and dados cut fine, but the profiles cuts were .010 into the spoilboard. The spoil board was resurfaced and the Z0 reset (using Mick's program).

We cleared the locals before starting with a G92 command, put a sheet of ply on, turned on the vac and DC and off we went. We have the FTC and the first two tools, 5mm for holes and 1/4 for dado cut fine.

The last cuts were the profile using a 3/8" compression. It cut everything in one pass at 450ipm but as soon as the first part was about to be fully cut, the part let loose and the bit dug in and we stopped the machine. Not only was the part scrap, but we noticed the bit had been cutting into the spoil board by 0.010" for the entire cut. We thought we'd not recalibrated correctly and went about recalibrating to the top of the spoilboard by lowering the bit to the spoil board and recalibrated and then measured the tool. We then sent the spindle of the spoilboard and after entering Z0, the spindle went just down to the top of the spoil board and registered z at 0 with the z0 blue LED on.

We then restarted the program from where it had left off, slowed the XY speeds to 350 and started it up again. It started running, and when we paused the machine to check the depth, is was back to cutting about 0.010 into the spoilboard.

My thinking is that because we've not had this issue in VCarvePro, and the cutting depth went back to cutting the same problematic depth as before, something must be wrong in the Mozaik PP for out machine. Do you agree or is there something I need to rule out first? We are already are working on the feeds/speeds, but what about the cut depth?
Performance package (FTC, Laser, C'balance)
Recoil ready
15HP FPZ regen w/starter
Auto relief valve
Vectric VCarvePro
Old 10-07-2017, 09:54 PM
CAMaster Owner

You wouldn't have set a start depth of something other then 0.0 would you?

Not sure how that software works, but I know in aspire if I forget to reset it, I am cutting that plus the requested depth by accident at times if I don't catch it.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Camaster Owner

I don't have Mozaik in front of me right now, but check the setup for that compression bit in the optimizer. There is a parameter that you can set for profile cuts to purposely cut into the spoilboard. This is set BY BIT, not for all bits. I have mine set to cut 0.007" into the spoilboard because that ensures that the compression bit cuts all the way through the bottom veneer layer. When I have this set to zero, I get a paper-thin flashing that has to be sanded off. It may be set to 0.010 for you.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 PM
CAMhead Guest

How deep do you want to cut into your board? With my profiles I always cut .015" into the board.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:42 AM
CAMaster Owner

That is a setting in Mozaik, so when you cut out a piece of ply with a compression bit, it will have a clean edge, and if there is any variation in your spoilboard, going .010 deep ensures you cut all the ply, and not leaving a splintered edge

Cobra 510
10HP ATC
Vacuum Table

Stinger II SR44
recoil lathe
3 KW Spindle
Performance Package
Speed Control
Vacuum Table
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

In Optimizer, go to tooling and select your bit you use for cutting out parts, to the right you will see add for cut through
attached is a screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tooling.JPG (92.2 KB, 20 views)

Cobra 510
10HP ATC
Vacuum Table

Stinger II SR44
recoil lathe
3 KW Spindle
Performance Package
Speed Control
Vacuum Table
Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Administrator, (MOD, KOTR)

I failed to save the number of who called and discussed Moziak with me,, Please call again !

www.mcgrewwoodwork.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Mcgrew-W...=page_internal

Camera 1 ATC Closeup !
https://video.nest.com/live/esNTrZ
Old 10-08-2017, 03:11 PM
CAMaster Owner

you guys are right on the mark. The bit was set to cut 0.030 into the spoil board with that setting. When you look at the Gcode, it first sends the bit down by the material thickness, then the next line sends it further down by the amount in that setting. Thanks for the help, I'll make the changes and cut again tomorrow.

I saw saw that in the profile path settings, I had onion skin set for parts below 144 sq. in. or one side under 5". So my 6 x 25 part did not onion skin and got tossed off the table. I'll make changes to those settings as well.
Performance package (FTC, Laser, C'balance)
Recoil ready
15HP FPZ regen w/starter
Auto relief valve
Vectric VCarvePro
Old 10-08-2017, 05:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

I changed mine to parts under 4". If you have a stretcher or toe or small part on the edge of the table, and your plenum is blocking air flow for a portion of it the onion skin works great. It's worth the extra time to onion skin than it is to recut. I generally get 25 sheets before needing to resurface the spoilboard

Cobra 510
10HP ATC
Vacuum Table

Stinger II SR44
recoil lathe
3 KW Spindle
Performance Package
Speed Control
Vacuum Table