CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > Shop Talk

Old 01-06-2017, 10:02 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Default Sears to Sell the Iconic Craftsman Brand After 90 Years

I shop at Sears quite a bit, often just go there to browse.
Never have been too crazy about Craftsman tools in general and not old enough to remember their heyday ... But I do own some, and they come out with some neat stuff.

Black & Decker has become huge, most people don't even know that they make Dewalt and other brands, now Craftsman.
Might be a good thing if it increases exposure, only other place I have seen them sold besides Sears [outside of the almost extinct Kmarts] is Ace hardware stores.

Hope this isn't a prelude for Sears shutting down, that would suck.

Sears announced today that it has agreed to sell the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker after controlling the iconic name in tools for 90 years. Stanley Black & Decker, which produces DeWalt tools as well, plans to expand the number of stores selling Craftsman, as only 10 percent of Craftsman products are currently sold in stores other than Sears, according to the Associated Press. Sears will continue to sell Craftsman tools as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sears-sel...170459110.html

Stinger 1
Old 01-07-2017, 08:20 AM
CAMaster Owner

Craftsman is a decent tool for the price and the warranty is amazing. I recently replaced a ratchet that was probably thirty years old. No issues, they didn't have one in the store so they shipped to my house for free. Back in the day or circa 70 & 80's they would replace broken drill bits for free.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Sears owned or not, I would recommend buying this brand over cheap Asian made harbor freight tools.
Though those have generally improved in quality over the years and some claim to be lifetime guaranteed, I just get a sinking feeling every time I cave in and buy from there, and avoid doing so as much as possible.

Stinger 1
Old 01-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Camaster Owner

I've felt guilty when I take a Craftsman tool in for the lifetime warranty considering I wanted them to stay in business. Example, I worked on a framing crew for a couple summers. Your tape measure will maybe last maybe a year on that job. If it's a Craftsman, you get a new one every year. Anyway, how much you want to bet that lifetime warranty goes bye bye under B&D?
>Pen Marking Tools - >Drag Knife

Last edited by CosmosK; 01-10-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Cobra Owner

Craftsman's lifetime warranty was established in a time when honesty and integrity were traits that most people worked to achieve and maintain. In today's world it doesn't work anymore, because there are so many low lifes who strive to beat the system any way they can. I've heard of people collecting old Craftsman screwdrivers at flea markets, then boogering them up and taking them in for brand new ones. I have a craftsman chisel that was the first hand tool I ever bought 40+ years ago. I have kept it in practically brand new condition, but if it broke I doubt I would return it because I have gotten my money's worth out of it. It comes back to being fair and treating other people like we would want to be treated.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 01-10-2017, 05:23 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

I feel guilty too sometimes their warrantys are so good - I recently took in a dead Diehard Gold it was 3 years old, they still prorated it $50 off then another $20 for some holiday special they were running, then about $15 more for points.
So I got a new Diehard battery with new warranty for $25, they had to have taken a loss on that.

Stinger 1
Old 01-10-2017, 07:33 PM
CAMaster Owner (MOD, KOTR)

In the 80's I bought a simple electric drill from Sears .
I returned it for another within 1 hour. no problems.
The problem was that i went thru 6 that day.
All returned and replaced with no issues.
I found out much later that it was a bad batch of drills and not me..
That helped a lot..

Michael

3-D Modeling
https://carveddetails.com/catalog-book/

mm@mezalick.com
Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 PM
CAMhead Friend

As a side note many "major retailers" are closing some of their retail stores within the first quarter of 2017...I am pretty sure sears name was included when I read that article...so was Walmart, and Macy's too. This very all the article said more than 100 retail stores across America are expected to close in this first quarter (Not the whole chain, but unprofitable locations).
Old 01-17-2017, 09:17 PM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Yep, Sears are going on another round of closures.
I think most of their mall stores are safe, vulnerable ones are stand alone stores, don't see them much any more.

I read that Amazon accounted for a full 30% of all holiday sales, with numbers like that some outfits have got to be hurting. Its great that Amazon is doing so well I guess, but that simply means outfits like Sears/Best Buy ect are taking a hit.

If I'm in need of a particular item, sometimes on impulse, I'll check Sears, Home Depot ect and if its close to Amazons price I'll get it somewhere else. Sometimes the price difference is just to much to ignore ,,, Places like Best Buy do price match Amazon and a number of times I have taken advantage of that to buy locally, not sure about Sears or Home Depot.

Its getting to the point where they almost have to, but with Amazons buying power, might be easier said than done.

Stinger 1