CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > metal work

Old 03-11-2017, 01:31 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default V-Carving Aluminum Tips

I have just started working with aluminum at a customer's request. Originally, I had planned to do mostly profile type cuts. But, now I think I prefer a v-carve type cut for what I am doing. After breaking one bit, the first bit I have ever broken, I purchased an insert 30 deg V-Bit made for machining aluminum. I really like the way it turned out. However, I am curious about the best way to clean up the cut when finished. There are a few tiny chips still stuck to the grooves. With wood I can usually sand them off or worst case use something like a chisel to scrape or knock them off. This doesnt work so well with aluminum. The finest sandpaper I had was 400 grit, and it scratched the surface pretty well. But, this may have been caused more so by the chips breaking away and scratching as they rub. Also, mechanical action like a chisel doesnt work so well either. So, what is the best way to clean up the cut when finished? How about a separate last pass?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1179.jpg (95.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1180.2.jpg (94.5 KB, 122 views)
FTC
WinCNC + VCarve Pro + PhotoVCarve
Old 03-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Camaster Owner

Not sure what you are using for coolant for your engraving process but I have been doing a very similar engraving in 6061 aluminum and found that if I use some WD-40 when cutting it gives me a clean cut without the need for any cleanup. I used an engraving bit from US Router Tool and engraved to a depth of 0.018" May want to give that I try and see if it does the trick for you. When I was finished engraving I used compressed air and it came out perfect.

Stinger II 48" x 48"
V Carve Pro, Corel Draw X8
1.7 kwh spindle
Performance Package
Hurricane Black Box Vac
Oneida 5hp Super Dust Gorrilla
Old 03-11-2017, 10:30 PM
CAMaster Owner

I used 6061 aluminum, cut to 0.01", and used WD-40 as coolant. Maybe I should adjust my feeds/speeds some. Brendt, could you elaborate on your bit and feeds/speeds?
FTC
WinCNC + VCarve Pro + PhotoVCarve
Old 03-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Camaster Owner

Here are the settings that I used. I just used the starting points Joey at US Router Tool gave me when I bought he bits. One was for cutting through material with a 1/4" O-flute bit and the other was engraving using an engraving bit. Sorry they are showing up sideways when I uploaded them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9961.jpg (111.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9960.jpg (100.9 KB, 52 views)

Stinger II 48" x 48"
V Carve Pro, Corel Draw X8
1.7 kwh spindle
Performance Package
Hurricane Black Box Vac
Oneida 5hp Super Dust Gorrilla