CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > 3d Scanning & Equipment

Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 PM
CAMhead Legend

Lightbulb Scanning Services

Hello Friends,
I wanted to post to let you know that scanning services are available to help you get your 3D parts into the computer and ready for production on your CNC. I've done quite a bit of scanning for CAMaster customers this year, including both new and seasoned CNC users. I thought it would be a good thing to post for those who may not be aware of benefits these services can offer your shop.

I offer scanning services for single and multi-sided parts, including 360 degree scanning of parts for rotary machining. I can provide you with Vectric Aspire & DelCAM ArtCAM formats in addition to STL mesh (plus others) compatible with most CAD/CAM software. I do not offer solid or IGES type formats at this time.

Unlike consumer type 3D scanners, a High Definition Laser can resolve details much finer and cleaner than anything most shops can afford to invest in. In fact, a good number of my customers already own a 3D scanner - but are frustrated with the data drop out, noise, lack of detail or simply the amount of time they have to invest in order to get a good file to machine.

What kind of parts do customer's have scanned? You name it. Musical instruments, all kinds of grips, handles, hand carved reliefs, soft clay sculptures, jewelry, coins, gun stocks, furniture legs, maquettes, propellers...even really weird things like a pizza with all the toppings and fruit (pineapples, tomatoes, apples etc). There are too many types of parts to list, but chances are pretty good that your parts can be scanned too.

You can view some examples of things I have scanned via my website, IBILD.com, although I must admit it's in need of a makeover. One of the hallmarks of my business is privacy & protecting the customer's data. You own the data. I'm just the translator. Your 3D data will never be shared or sold ever. Period.

Feel free to contact me via PM or email regarding pricing. Please include a photo or two and rough overall dimensions so that I can give you an accurate quote. All other questions feel free to ask here.

Thanks!
-Brady
Old 10-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Cobra Owner

The quality of Brady's scans is excellent, and his honesty and integrity are second to none. You won't be disappointed. Welcome to the forum Brady; I hope you will come back often and share some of your knowledge, experience, and expertise.
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 10-10-2014, 08:15 AM
CAMhead Legend

Hey Charlie - thanks for the kudos. I see you are still making those sweet ocarinas. You do such nice work!

-B
Old 10-11-2014, 01:00 AM
CAMaster Stinger Owner

Looks like nice work, what kind of machine/software are you using to scan if you don't mind me asking.

Stinger 1
Old 10-11-2014, 08:31 AM
CAMhead Legend

Hey Doug - It's completely custom. I was a software developer in a previous life. I test drove every scanner & 3D camera under $50k and none of them really had the versatility and data quality that I was after, so I built my own.

Thanks!
-Brady
Old 07-12-2017, 04:27 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Up to top...

I know this is an old thread but was wondering how large of an object can you scan and are you able to export it being a STEP file or IGES file? I have some automotive parts that would be easier to scan and work with in solidworks than with me and a tape measure. One of the items is a door and the other parts are interior vacuum formed dashes and panels.
Thanks,
Brad