CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > Tips & Techniques > CAMaster Routed Signmaking

Old 08-10-2017, 10:35 AM
CAMaster Owner

Mike, I'm going to be in Iron Bridge late afternoon on Friday the 25th. I have to drop off in Pembroke, another sign there in IB, & yet another one in Thunder Bay the next afternoon. Then we're off to the Cypress Hills., Drumheller AB & finally to Unity SK with a half dozen sheets of HDU for my buddy there ..........
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 08-11-2017, 11:57 AM
CAMaster Owner

Mike ..... it's closer to you, but not 3 hours closer. Lake Huron is in the way.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 08-11-2017, 05:27 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguthrie View Post
Bob,

I just did a sample run with Precision, Cora, and Design board in 20# and 15# just to determine if the up charge on the Cora product was worth it. The 15# hands down I now use Cora exclusively. The finish quality and ease of painting pays for itself 2X over because of the cell size and dust reduction. 20# was a wash between all 3 manufacturers. Cell size, dust, and finish time were all very close with Cora a little better but Precision right there. Design board was lower just because of a couple voids within the foam.

All the samples cut were directly from the factories and I was told latest formulations. Let me know if you need a distributor for Duna brands, I have been working with Duna to try and get somebody to stock product but to no avail at this point. it usually takes about a week to get it shipped from Houston to the distributor.

Brian

If you need a sample just call them and they will send out samples pretty quick to test drive.
I found a place here in Cincinnati for corafoam. It's off of Hamilton Ave near I-275. It's called Graphics Solution Group, they have it in stock. I did get the last piece of 1 inch but they still have 1 1/2 inch in stock. The 1 inch 48x96 was $256.00 and I picked up.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
1200 oz Digital Stepper Drive System
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 08-11-2017, 06:47 PM
CAMaster Owner

Bob, you've just witnessed the biggest problem in sourcing HDU ....... suppliers say they "stock" it but only rarely do they have any real inventory, & very little selection.

In 2007, I was the lead on a project for the Saskatchewan Burrowing Owl Interpretive Centre in Moose Jaw, & Coastal ( Precision Board) donated the 4 sheets of 1" we needed. I was hoping to just pick it up along the way . I called Kellie Miller to see if I could get it in Winnipeg, perhaps, & she told me that of 23 distributors they had in Canada at the time, only 3 had 4 sheets of 1" in inventory...... Montreal, Nova Scotia & one in British Columbia.

There are so few of us using it that it's a slow mover, & these guys won't stock it if it doesn't roll over every 60 days.

So, I'm lucky, the Canadian master distributor is just 3 hours from me, & even at that, I generally stock .5" , .75", 1", 1.25", 1.5" 1.75" & 2" right here. HDU would be a lot more popular if it was more readily available.

Back when Everwood was still around, I had issues getting it & the owner started letting me buy direct, because, in his words "you carry more inventory than 90% of my distributors".
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 08-11-2017, 07:13 PM
CAMaster owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.R.MacMunn View Post
Bob, you've just witnessed the biggest problem in sourcing HDU ....... suppliers say they "stock" it but only rarely do they have any real inventory, & very little selection.

In 2007, I was the lead on a project for the Saskatchewan Burrowing Owl Interpretive Centre in Moose Jaw, & Coastal ( Precision Board) donated the 4 sheets of 1" we needed. I was hoping to just pick it up along the way . I called Kellie Miller to see if I could get it in Winnipeg, perhaps, & she told me that of 23 distributors they had in Canada at the time, only 3 had 4 sheets of 1" in inventory...... Montreal, Nova Scotia & one in British Columbia.

There are so few of us using it that it's a slow mover, & these guys won't stock it if it doesn't roll over every 60 days.

So, I'm lucky, the Canadian master distributor is just 3 hours from me, & even at that, I generally stock .5" , .75", 1", 1.25", 1.5" 1.75" & 2" right here. HDU would be a lot more popular if it was more readily available.

Back when Everwood was still around, I had issues getting it & the owner started letting me buy direct, because, in his words "you carry more inventory than 90% of my distributors".
Yup, I'm gonna keep my eye out for it and just buy it when I find it even if I don't need it. That's if I like working with it after this first trial run, I'm sure I will. This place just opened in May so I hope they can stay in business.

2016 Stinger II SR-44
Fast Tool Change
Laser Cross Hair
3.0 kW Spindle
1200 oz Digital Stepper Drive System
Remote Handheld Keypad
Vectric VCarve Pro 9.0

www.cool-signs.com
Old 08-11-2017, 08:25 PM
CAMaster Owner

I know not everyone can do this, Bob, but since I'm at it full time, I try to keep about 15 sheets in stock at any one time, Even at that, invariably someone wan's something that I really shouldn't make from what I have in stock. So... it's "off to Toronto" . I'll come home with 10-15 sheets of something, to make the trip worthwhile.
Aspire 3.5
Mach3
CoreldrawX3
Old 08-12-2017, 09:07 AM
Stinger Owner

I'll PM you Rodger!

Mike
Sidewinder Back Knife Rotary
Epilog Legend
www.artcentergraphics.com
www.baconwood.com