CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 11:54 PM
CAMhead Guest

Default Is backlash prevalent?

Hi there,

Been trying to do as much homework as possible before buying a CAMaster. I've looked at CNCRP kits but have been a little skeptical about the single pinion held to the rack with a spring. DamenCNC makes an R&P kit that has 2 pinions, where 1 is adjustable to remove all play. Seems like a great way to ensure no backlash.

Question is, how are the CAMaster machines equipped to handle backlash? I've never seen a teardown to understand how the R&P system works on the CAMaster, but am really curious.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:38 AM
CAMhead Guest

Wish I could change the topic title, what I meant to ask wasnt if backlash was prevalent with the R&P, just what tricks the camaster machines had up their sleeves to deal with it?

Would love to see a teardown of the thing to see how they are built from the ground up, if anyone is aware of a video/photo tour please link me up.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:41 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

The "sales type" answer is that CAMaster uses a self adjusting transmission to keep pinion engaged into the rack properly. From us in the field, you could note that there is a small number of posts that look for solutions on this forum to cure a backlash problem. So, you can rest assured that it is handled well.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Camaster Owner

The pinion is preloaded via spring into the rack which eliminates backlash. I've seen this same concept on machines weighing many tons in airplane factories. In that case, the pinion (size of bowling ball) was preloaded with a hydraulic cylinder
>Pen Marking Tools - >Drag Knife
Old 08-15-2017, 04:18 AM
CAMhead Guest

Thanks guys! Greatly appreciate the feedback.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:51 AM
Cobra Owner

I have a Cobra 408 and have never had to deal with a backlash problem - after 6 years of owning the Cobra I can honestly say that backlash doesn't enter into my thoughts when programming or using the machine.

On a different brand of machine I owned previously, it was a constant focus and I had to work around it on nearly every cut.

You can never entirely eliminate backlash, but the spring on the pinion on my Cobra has eliminated it enough to make it negligible for woodworking. I would say non-existent, but that is technically impossible!!
www.cherryleaf-rustle.com