CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Temperature Issue?

I have had my Stinger I for about 2 years. I have always kept and used it in my garage. Living in Nebraska at one time I have ran it in some chilly temps with no issues. About a year ago I moved to Tennessee. Again operating the machine out of my garage. The past week we have had some lower but not horrible temps (30's) and I have been having issues with my machine. Temperature is the only thing that might make sense or I maybe have a servo motor going bad.

The issue occurs when I run the Measure T1 macro. The bit will descend and touch the touch pad but when it retracts it only goes about half way back up and makes a deep whirring noise. The Z reading will show it fully retracted even though it isn't. If I try to manually lower the bit it does nothing and gives me a soft limit error. When the machine warms up a little it doesn't happen and runs fine afterwards. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Camaster Stand
Fusion 360
ArtCAM
WinCNC
Old 12-12-2017, 10:28 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

You probably have some debris and grease (now stiffer) on the Z ballscrew that is causing a loss of steps on the retract. Clean and lube as per the maintenance docs.

Run the Z up and down a few times to loosen the grease and warm the stepper before you measure the tool. If this doesn't work, then warm the garage up. If you look at the specs most components are rated for 40* F and above.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 AM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks Gary! I looked at the shaft and didn't see anything but it's entirely possible I missed some debris. I will check that out and make sure I'm above 40 degrees and see if that does the trick.
Camaster Stand
Fusion 360
ArtCAM
WinCNC