CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers

Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM
CAMaster Owner

Default Broke a bit and hit abort - are the x and y zeros still good

Hello,

I should probably know this but I want to make sure. I broke a bit cutting some aluminum and hit the abort button. Will my x and y zeros still be OK once I change the bit. I know I'll need to re-zero the z axis but don't want to reset the x and y since I'm part way through.

Thanks!

Kyle
Suwanee, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 AM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Kyle...
You should assume that they (X Y position) are NOT accurate. (Synced with control). You will need to "Initialize"

If you are using a user XY zero, shown as a green box next to the X and Y position on the screen, they will persist until you change them.

Once you change the bit and "Measure Tool" if using the FTC system OR "Touch Top" if not using FTC, you can select "Restart" from the menu and the file will start right around where you left off.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"

Last edited by Gary Campbell; 12-15-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hi Gary,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Another issue I ran into was after I installed a new bit, I re-zeroed to the top of the material (I did this with the first bit as well. I don't have FTC enabled yet). When I started to run the toolpath again, the z axis ran to the top and hit the limit switch and gave me an error. I then intialized the machine. My original X and Y zeros were done with the laser. Will those persist?

I have not run the machine for a couple of weeks so I need to circle back and revisit some of the rules for zeros etc.

One other question. If I'm not using FTC and break a bit in the middle of a toolpath, how can I run the z axis up, change the bit and then restart?

Kyle
Suwanee, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

I think one lesson I learned is that when I zero X and Y using the laser, it might help to note the absolute coordinates before I hit the laser XY zero button. That way if I lose my zero, I have something to work with from the machine zero. Is that valid?

Kyle
Suwanee, GA
CAMaster Stinger 1 23
FTC, Laser Cross Hair
Vectric V Carve Pro
Remote Handheld Keypad
Solid Edge ST10
Old 12-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Stinger II Owner

Kyle,

Your idea about noting the x and y is exactly on track for future events like this. Read the manual about the Menu at the top of WinCNC. There is one selection there that allows to to very quickly save the current position. So, right after setting the laser zero position, just pick the menu item to save the current home position. I do that for every cut that could be difficult if the zero is lost. I save the x and y but don't include the Z value. After breaking a bit you have to zero Z, so why save it is what I figure.

Restarting the file like Gary described is extremely helpful.

I wrote G53 on the wall to use when I want to lift the z from wherever it is to the top of the lift. If the computer thinks you are near a high limit it will stop I think. Then the initialize is the way to go. Or, with caution you might turn off the limits. Not my first choice.

After Intializing, your green boxes are still loaded. So, that shows your local home for x and y are still enabled. If you want to get rid of the green boxes, type G92.

Pull out the books and study all of these gcode options. You can learn them one at a time.