CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 03-03-2018, 09:47 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Greetings from Idaho

Hi all.
Recently I bought a baby CNC router from Gary Campbell. He was/has been patient with all my (many) questions and the machine has provided the “proof of concept” I hoped for. Turns out this thing really reenergized my interest in woodworking and excitement for learning.

As an introduction, I make my living as a remodeling contractor. Cut my teeth as a cabinet maker and looped through a stint as a marine mechanic, then RV and boat sales guy as well as partnering with my dad on a wholesale picture frame business. Always kept a small woodshop on the side and remodeled my own homes and a little for friends. Change of career direction in 2004 when RV company I worked for was purchased by what turned out to be buffoons. Thankfully, I couldn’t bring myself to go along with their plan, and decided to hang out my own shingle and return to roots, so to speak.

I just passed my 62nd birthday and considering letting contracting business slow down so I can work on the house we bought to remodel in 2003. Yeah, yeah, I know. But better late than never, right?

The other thing I’m contemplating is a 508 Panther, semi loaded, and have some questions I hope y’all can help with.

1. Gantry lift. I can think of some situations where this would be handy, but not impossible to accomplish in some other way. Other than cost, is there any downside?

2. Handheld remote. I’m not big on gadgets if they provide little in the way of convenience. If you love this and use it, let me know how it makes your world wonderful.

3. Power drop. Router will be away from walls so wondering what sort of power drop schemes and location you’re using. Same thing for compressed air for spindle. Photos might help me get this all right the first go and avoid the coulda, woulda, shouldas.

4. Dust collection port: Besides getting the Oneida cyclone purchased 10 years ago (you read right) finally ducted into shop, I’ll need to run a dedicated branch to CNC. What size is port? In addition to that, I’ve seen it run several ways. I’d appreciate guidance from those that have done it so it works well or things you wouldn’t do again.

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy intro and any insights you might have on above. The carbidetooth moniker follows me other places on the web so I’ll implement it here as well.

Peter

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 03-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:05 AM
CAMaster Owner

CAMaster Logo Welcome

Peter, welcome aboard. I can share my thoughts on your queries albeit my machine is smaller than yours. Woodworking is my hobby not my vocation so I approach some issues differently than the production folks.

1. Gantry lift. I can think of some situations where this would be handy, but not impossible to accomplish in some other way. Other than cost, is there any downside?
I have really not needed thus far the extra two inches but I have it if I need it.

2. Handheld remote. Iím not big on gadgets if they provide little in the way of convenience. If you love this and use it, let me know how it makes your world wonderful.
I have been using a wireless keyboard so I can line up my laser etc. I have been tempted to get the WinCnc handheld controller but I am used to my keyboard. Money is not an issue for me but I don't like to waste it either. I didn't see a big difference with the controller over my keyboard other than I cannot push buttons such as laser on/off etc. If my machine was longer than the controller would be a plus. The KRS keypad is another some like along with just programing a game controller for the various functions.

3. Power drop. Router will be away from walls so wondering what sort of power drop schemes and location youíre using. Same thing for compressed air for spindle. Photos might help me get this all right the first go and avoid the coulda, woulda, shouldas.
All my 220 volt single phase drops are from the ceiling with 20 foot extension cords so I can move my machines where I need them i.e. long boards for jointer or plainer. I have a dedicated airline for the stinger which is tee'd off my mainline for the shop.

4. Dust collection port: Besides getting the Oneida cyclone purchased 10 years ago (you read right) finally ducted into shop, Iíll need to run a dedicated branch to CNC. What size is port? In addition to that, Iíve seen it run several ways. Iíd appreciate guidance from those that have done it so it works well or things you wouldnít do again.
I have an Oneida 3hp Gorilla with seven to four inch ducts to all my machine with blast gates. My Stinger is next to my drum sander so they share that four inch hose which is on a duct line that is only a few feet from the DC. I have a Kent dust shoe which is four inch and works very well. Most of us have the Kent and swear by it. The Stinger comes with a two inch Rube Goldberg setup but maybe the larger machine have four inch.

I am sure someone with a machine like yours will chime in eventually but I didn't want you thinking we were ignoring you. . I was at a point in my life where money was not an issue so I got every bell and whistle that was available for my machine. I don't waste but I don't deprive myself either. I didn't know what I wanted to create but I didn't want to be limited by the machine or have to spend more money later to upgrade or by another. Good luck my friend.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 AM
CAMaster Owner

Hi Peter, my responses are contained in your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbidetooth View Post
Hi all.
Recently I bought a baby CNC router from Gary Campbell. He was/has been patient with all my (many) questions and the machine has provided the ďproof of conceptĒ I hoped for. Turns out this thing really reenergized my interest in woodworking and excitement for learning.

As an introduction, I make my living as a remodeling contractor. Cut my teeth as a cabinet maker and looped through a stint as a marine mechanic, then RV and boat sales guy as well as partnering with my dad on a wholesale picture frame business. Always kept a small woodshop on the side and remodeled my own homes and a little for friends. Change of career direction in 2004 when RV company I worked for was purchased by what turned out to be buffoons. Thankfully, I couldnít bring myself to go along with their plan, and decided to hang out my own shingle and return to roots, so to speak.

I just passed my 62nd birthday and considering letting contracting business slow down so I can work on the house we bought to remodel in 2003. Yeah, yeah, I know. But better late than never, right?

The other thing Iím contemplating is a 508 Panther, semi loaded, and have some questions I hope yíall can help with.

The Panther comes standard with 8" of gantry clearance I believe. I've also never needed more, but your type of work would determine that.

2. Handheld remote. Iím not big on gadgets if they provide little in the way of convenience. If you love this and use it, let me know how it makes your world wonderful.

I had the plug-in remote and found it useful for getting close to the work when setting your local zeros. It's easily added later, so you may want to start without it and judge for yourself.

3. Power drop. Router will be away from walls so wondering what sort of power drop schemes and location youíre using. Same thing for compressed air for spindle. Photos might help me get this all right the first go and avoid the coulda, woulda, shouldas.

If you take a look at the pic with the computer, you can see my power, air and computer feeds grouped together and run to the machine. While it's possible to have a drop from overhead, you need to make sure it's in a location as to not interfere with the dust collection and material load/unload. In addition, the cable from the computer to the controller on the machine is limited in length, so your answer may be more clear once you're made the decision on where to locate the computer.

4. Dust collection port: Besides getting the Oneida cyclone purchased 10 years ago (you read right) finally ducted into shop, Iíll need to run a dedicated branch to CNC. What size is port? In addition to that, Iíve seen it run several ways. Iíd appreciate guidance from those that have done it so it works well or things you wouldnít do again.

You can see my dust collection drop in my overall pic. This was my first attempt on my first machine and I made the assumption that feeding to the center of the machine would be best. I won't do that again. You can see that the hose is always on one side of the gantry and whenever the machine crosses to the front of the machine, the hose needs to clear that gantry. I used a counterbalance cable to help with the clearance. What I should have done is feed the hose from the point of the machine where the hose never crosses the gantry or the z-axis Echain, or from the X0Y0 area in my case. That way, you're only dealing with the gathering the excess hose, not in providing clearance.

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy intro and any insights you might have on above. The carbidetooth moniker follows me other places on the web so Iíll implement it here as well.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1870 9.37.22 AM.jpg (91.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1862 9.37.18 AM.jpg (92.5 KB, 57 views)
Auto relief valve
Vectric Aspire
Old 03-06-2018, 06:58 PM
CAMhead Friend

Thanks for the insights. Just what I was looking for.

I suspect I'll run all umbilicals from above and have computer on some sort of rolling stand. Perhaps a support post of some kind. This will be at least 8' from nearest wall with walk space all around. I have enough cords and hoses on the floor.

I may have to get the machine here before getting all completely dialed in. It has a significant footprint and I'm gonna need to rearrange some.

Jim if I'm understanding you right concerning dust collection, you'd configure it coming from the left side of machine in photo, correct? Do you see a problem with dropping in middle of left side so it's equidistant both directions of travel in that axis? I have some light fixtures which might dictate at least some of where I locate machine.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 PM
CAMaster Owner

Welcome aboard! I see that you have received some great info in regards to your questions.

Best wishes!
20 Tool Holder
25HP Regen Vac

2017 Panther 408
HSD 5HP ATC
6 Tool Rotary Carousel
Recoil Lathe
Laser
Aspire 9.0
PhotoVcarve

"You never learn anything by doing it right."
If that were true, I would be one of the most intelligent people you would ever meet.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Stinger II Owner

Peter,

Search here and some will suggest and it seems logical that the higher gantry may introduce a little more flex and therefore slightly impact z accuracy. That might be a question for the factory.

When planning remember you will have a 25 pin cable running from the computer to the table. I use 2 six foot cables plugged together. I don't know if there is a maximum length.

I also have an extension USB cable on my keyboard so I can have it with me at the table. Kind of a wireless but wired keyboard. Works fine.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:13 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbidetooth View Post
Thanks for the insights. Just what I was looking for.

I suspect I'll run all umbilicals from above and have computer on some sort of rolling stand. Perhaps a support post of some kind. This will be at least 8' from nearest wall with walk space all around. I have enough cords and hoses on the floor.

I may have to get the machine here before getting all completely dialed in. It has a significant footprint and I'm gonna need to rearrange some.

Jim if I'm understanding you right concerning dust collection, you'd configure it coming from the left side of machine in photo, correct? Do you see a problem with dropping in middle of left side so it's equidistant both directions of travel in that axis? I have some light fixtures which might dictate at least some of where I locate machine.
There's always a way to run the DC hose. As long as it sucks up the sawdust and the machine doesn't yank the hose off the wall, you're good.

You're right in recognizing that some of the setup needs to happen when the machine is in front of you. Don't underestimate the benefit of planning the path from the truck to the location. That can save you a whole lot of grief.
Auto relief valve
Vectric Aspire