CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > Stinger Series CNC Routers > Stinger I (Table Top)

Old 03-07-2018, 10:12 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Warm up - but loses XY & Z zeros

I have a Stinger1 24. Before I call tech support, was wondering if this is the norm. When I run WarmUp I noticed that X,Y and Z zeros are no longer what I had set them at. Most of the time that is fine, just run warm up, then set the registration points; but when I've run a long job, and I've been a way for some time, and the system has cooled down, and I need to change bits and move on to the next toolpath (hence should warm up again), then its a problem. Oh, I could get close to my original x,y 0,0, but it would not be exact.

Do others find when using the warm up routine they loose their 0,0,0? Its not much, but enough really mess up the project.

And if so, what do you do when you need to continue but the spindle has been off for several hours. My shop gets cold at night still.

thank you,
Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 AM
CAMaster Owner

i hope you don't mind scubanimal... I would like to pile a question on to this I have been wondering - can you store xyz zero's to restore to later? in g code?
Old 03-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Camaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
i hope you don't mind scubanimal... I would like to pile a question on to this I have been wondering - can you store xyz zero's to restore to later? in g code?
You can save "Home Positions" with WinCnc , its in the manual , its very easy to do .

Stinger I
Performance Pkg
Slotted table
WINCNC
Aspire 8.505
Porter Cable 2.25
CAMaster Stand
KRS USB Keypad

I've got to many clamps , and sometimes they are not enough
Old 03-08-2018, 10:44 AM
CAMaster Owner

I have use the making a stored position, then doing the warm up, then initialize, then go back to the stored position. Just seems like that is a long process just to warm up the spindle.
If that is the only way, then I better finally knuckle down and learn how to write macros; as that is nuts to do every time. Just seems there should be a better way. these are really nice machines. Except for having the control box at the zero end of the Y, the Stinger1 systems appear to be really well designed. (that box still bugs the @$#@# out of me).
Old 03-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Stinger II Owner

I have a different machine and do not run a macro for warmup, so I'm not sure why your x, y would change. I don't believe there is any code inside the warmup macro to change your x y locations.

If powered on, the steppers should not change and therefore the x y would not change. Something else is not right, which you already know.

You didn't mention your initialize process but I assume that is working correctly. You know if it powers down then everything can move.

How much are the x y moving? Is it moving the z too?

Does the x y move even without the warmup macro? What happens when you just manually warm up? Turn on the spindle and warm it up without the macro and see what happens.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:33 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
I have a different machine and do not run a macro for warmup, so I'm not sure why your x, y would change. I don't believe there is any code inside the warmup macro to change your x y locations.

If powered on, the steppers should not change and therefore the x y would not change. Something else is not right, which you already know.

You didn't mention your initialize process but I assume that is working correctly. You know if it powers down then everything can move.

How much are the x y moving? Is it moving the z too?

Does the x y move even without the warmup macro? What happens when you just manually warm up? Turn on the spindle and warm it up without the macro and see what happens.

Thank you for inquiring Charlie. The warm up routine on the WinCNC that I received, actually does move the servos around a bit, the x is off roughly 1.2", the Y about the .5, and the Z about -.15 I think. Using the warm up routine the spindle is ramped up in speed, where as if I just turn it on, it goes straight to that one speed. I've been using the speed control to set it step it up, but I'm assuming that the routine that is within the Warmup macro actually is based on a manufacturers engineered set of calculations to get the best life out of that expensive spindle. Reading in the forum it appears using the warm up routine is wise so for spindles so I'd like to........

If I don't use the warm up macro the system is fair, its not perfect, after a long job (many hours) the Y seems to get out of place by .02, X and Z have been good.

thank you
Old 03-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Stinger II Owner

So you maybe have speed control option from the WinCNC panel? I'm going to assume you do. It will probably run at 1/2 speed for 2 minutes, 3/4 speed for 2 minutes, then full speed for one minute. You maybe can do that manually. My warmup macro also initializes the machine. So, during warmup I assume you see the machine moving all three axis to the end switches. It is setting the machine location at that time. The x y z must be moving before you see the initialize. Or else the micro switches are loose and wiggling.

I think you are seeing changes in x y z even without the initialize command. Therefore, that might be the question to dig in to.

Probably not part of your code.
Could be hold downs are allowing movement?
Could be static electricity?
Could be loose mechanical components, however, probably not all three x y z.

Good luck exploring.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Camaster Owner

Typically the warm-up Macro initializes and then warms the spindle.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:15 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thats true for my Stinger SR24. The warmup macro first does an initialize to set the home X0, Y0 and Z0. If you are turning your machine off in between runs you will definitely want to initialize it when you power back on. Setting a stored xyz position is a piece of cake, as is recalling it to restart your job.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM
CAMaster Owner

That is what I did this weekend with my several runs, used a stored setting. That is fine when I've powered off the machine, its reasonable and logical.

But when the machine has been on, just stopped running because it finished a job, and I've not returned to it. that kinda bugged me.

I think I need to learn to write macros.... This could be an easy button...