CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > CAMaster Machines > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2018, 07:38 PM
CAMhead Friend

Default Router not turning on.

Started a lengthy job, it cut the first part fine, but halfway through the second part the router stopped spinning. X Y and Z are all moving along fine though. After doing some research it seems like the brushes in the Milwaukee rotor might be shot.

Whenever I try to manually engage the router with WINcnc i hear it click on, but the router fails to start.

I was hoping to get some opinions from you all and see what you had to say.

Camaster SR24

"Give me 5 hours to cut down a tree and i'll spend the first 3 sharpening the ax."
Old 07-08-2018, 07:45 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

John...
Plug the router into an extension cord that is known working. If it does not work, for sure the issue is in the router. When plugged in, try different speed settings

There are 2 things that can go wrong with the routers. 1) The brushes can go bad 2) The speed control can go bad. Depending on your skillset, you may be able to change one or both. If you wish there are Milwaukee service centers that can repair them.
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-08-2018, 07:52 PM
CAMhead Friend

Isn't the Milwaukee router hardwired into the control panel? I didn't think there was a regular plug for it. I'll go take a look.

Camaster SR24

"Give me 5 hours to cut down a tree and i'll spend the first 3 sharpening the ax."
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM
CAMhead Friend

So i checked both plugs coming from the machine. Power is good going into each one.

Camaster SR24

Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Camaster Owner

John, my Milwaukee plug is located at the gantry just after the plastic chain for the z movement. Unplug there and plug in an extension cord. You should be able to turn the router on and off at the router with the power switch. I have had to replace the power switch, blow out the power switch due to dust, replace brushes, and speed controller over the past 4 years. I still believe the router was correct for my needs because I can usually diagnose and repair in a couple of minutes. I keep brushes and power switch on hand and bought an extra router in case need it in a rush.