CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The CAMhead Locker Room! > Gary Campbell

Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Default WinCNC Wireless Pendant

There has been a few mentions of this very useful accessory for our machines. I bought one and made a short video of its operation: https://youtu.be/YhguEASCaSE

Notes:
You must have WinCNC version 2.6.07a or later. On some machines this is a no charge download and upgrade, on others there are charges. These charges vary depending on how old your system is. I can hook you up with the Pendant and required programming, CAMaster would need to price out any software version upgrade and, of course, they sell the pendant too!

GCnC411@gmail.com for more info
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-21-2018, 03:06 PM
CAMaster Owner

Default Fwiw

I watched Gary's video and as usual he did a great job with much detail. I have looked at the pendant many times since its inception. I just don't see how it is so much better than my wireless keyboard.

I really like gadgets but they have to really be a value to me. For example I just purchased a Nova Voyager DVR drill press even though I already own a 12 Speed 17" Floor Drill Press. I got tired of changing the belts to change speeds. All I do with the Nova is turn a knob, or pick my favorite speed or use the menu to select the speed for the type of bit and material. So much easier.

The Nova has surpassed my expectations of what a drill press should do but of course it is twice the cost of the Grizzly. If I saw that kind of value in the pendent than I would buy one but I do not. To be fair I have not actually tried one but I didn't try out a Nova either but the value was obvious to me. That is my two cents. Cheers.
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 PM
CAMaster Owner

That's a nice setup, Gary. Thanks for posting the video!

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Keith...
I'm with you. I am much more of a "real feature" freak than a gadget freak. I tested the pendants a few years back and have done just fine without them as I am a navigate with the keyboard guy.

Operating these new machines with a large number of screen button enabled macros has meant that I get to the machine with a wireless keyboard and then have to go back to the mouse or touchscreen to get the required button press. So, I am pleased that this unit does both at a reasonable cost.
GCnC411@gmail.com

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary logic, and those who don't"
Old 07-23-2018, 01:01 PM
CAMaster Owner

Question How about?

Gary, I agree with you about going back to the computer because you don't have control over the mouse. I am going to do some research but it seems that you should be able to find a touch screen device that will connect via Bluetooth to the computer and use Wincnc remotely.

Has anyone looked into that solution? I did some preliminary research a few minutes ago and I think that there maybe some apps that can provide that capability. Now that would be a perfect solution. What say you Mr. Campbell?

How about if I remotely log into my computer as folks do when teaching or troubleshooting?
Former Marine and retired Seabee Master Chief.
Furniture is my hobby not my vocation.
hyde.consulting@comcast.net
Old 07-23-2018, 01:50 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Keith...
Its simple. I got a bit tired of going back and forth to the screen to perform actions that my keyboard wouldn't. I bought a WinCNC pendant. It works great. I made a video in case someone else might benefit. Game over for me
GCnC411@gmail.com

Old 07-24-2018, 12:56 AM
CAMaster Cobra Owner (MOD, KOTR)

I have the wired and wireless pendant from Wincnc ..... I prefer the wired model but it cost more BUT it has the same operations as the Wincnc screen.

https://youtu.be/kkJm4zbnD78
Digitize Touch Probe
Wincnc Handheld Serial Keypad + Wireless Pendant
Hurricane vacuum
WinCNC + Aspire 9.5 + PhotoVCarve + EnRoute 5
www.customarchitecturalsignage.com
www.mickmartinwoodworking.com/

The search function on the forum is your best friend!
Old 07-24-2018, 03:36 PM
Cobra Owner

It looks like a nice device, but one thing bothers me. I don't see any need for a button to remotely drop the tool out of the spindle. You've got to have one hand on the tool holder anyway when you press the button, so why not just use the one on the spindle? I would rather not have any of my fingers close to that button when I don't intend to press it. Is there a way to disable or reprogram that one button?
WinCNC
www.hindocarina.com
http://facebook.com/hindocarina
Old 07-24-2018, 07:51 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Charlie....
There is no button on this spindle. In reality I will seldom, if ever use it, except to put in a surfacer, which I run as a "zero" tool
GCnC411@gmail.com

Old 07-29-2018, 01:29 PM
CNC Tech & Trainer

Let me answer a number of questions that I have received via email and PM:

The pendant buttons will operate any (and only) macros or operations that are currently on your WinCNC screen

Other actions or options can be added (by yourself for free) or for a small additional charge

Any operation or action that you machine is capable of performing can be assigned to a button and can be operated by a pendant button.

If you have a CAMaster machine, you should contact CAMaster to add your pendant. They may refer you to me, but your first contact should be CAMaster Tech Support. DIY WinCNC users may contact myself or WinCNC directly.
GCnC411@gmail.com