CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 08-09-2018, 12:58 PM
CAMaster Owner

Angry V-carve Inlay Help

Okay...I've done a few inlays without a hitch. This current one for some reason is driving me bonkers. Its a butterfly I pulled off the web, traced and set up for carving. The Aspire rendering looks good but when I actually cut the inlay there is no way on earth it will fit into the pocket I carved. I've tried using the standard
start depth = 0, flat depth =0.2 with the inlay set to start depth 0.1, flat depth 0.1 and also the inlay set to start depth 0.18, flat depth 0.1.

The second set of inlay parameter get me close, but no cigar. Parts of the inlay are too wide to fit into the pocket. Any help, including pointing out "stoopid" mistakes will be greatly appreciated. Im attaching a copy of the Aspire file. If pics of the inlay will help, just let me know. I wasn't sure how much "data" I could upload at one time.
Attached Files
File Type: crv3d Judy Butterfly_2.crv3d (2.85 MB, 33 views)
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

How to count to 10 in Windows:
1,2,3,95,NT,2000,XP,Vista,7,8,10
Old 08-09-2018, 01:09 PM
CAMaster Owner

Heres pictures of the inlay....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_0409.pdf (2.13 MB, 88 views)
File Type: pdf IMG_0410.pdf (1.99 MB, 46 views)
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

Old 08-09-2018, 01:49 PM
CAMhead Legend

Joe,
This is a fairly complex inlay. I would omit all the center islands and dial in the inlay to just do the outside perimeter in some scrap, like the inlay instructions shown here.

After you've successfully tweaked your depths to make that one work, I would start messing with the inner islands. Keep in mind this CAN drive you bonkers because you have to make sure you toolpath the island vectors on the correct side of the line for the pocket, and the correct side of the line for the inverted inlay.

Not sure I am being very helpful here...the best I can do for your right now is point to the likely culprit.

Also...keep in mind that this is NOT symmetrical, so be sure you're flipping it Left/Right for the inlay or it will NEVER work! Right? You can save yourself some agg by chopping it in half with a vertical vector line and mirroring it over...

-B

Last edited by BradyWatson; 08-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyWatson View Post
Joe,
This is a fairly complex inlay. I would omit all the center islands and dial in the inlay to just do the outside perimeter in some scrap, like the inlay instructions shown here.

After you've successfully tweaked your depths to make that one work, I would start messing with the inner islands. Keep in mind this CAN drive you bonkers because you have to make sure you toolpath the island vectors on the correct side of the line for the pocket, and the correct side of the line for the inverted inlay.

Not sure I am being very helpful here...the best I can do for your right now is point to the likely culprit.

Also...keep in mind that this is NOT symmetrical, so be sure you're flipping it Left/Right for the inlay or it will NEVER work! Right? You can save yourself some agg by chopping it in half with a vertical vector line and mirroring it over...

-B
On the contrary, Brady...your advice is very sound and welcome. I have been studying the vectors and it seems that something is wonky on the inlay piece, like I dont have the correct boundaries to carve it correctly. I did a mirror image for the inlay layer...thats correct, yes? I may have to resign myself to finding a simpler image. But Im not giving in yet! Thanks again for your valued insight.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

Old 08-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Stinger II Owner

Joe,
Keep experimenting.

I will send you a PM with the notes I stole over the years. Some from Russell, who is a master. Some of my own on top of a solid foundation from this forum years ago.

Your mirror image seems correct, so the vectors are probably right.
  • Delete the inlay pocket toolpath that you had created.
  • Instead, use a V-carve with a flat clearance tool.
  • Set the start depth at the level that you want the inlay to bottom out at. You have a 0.2 female pocket in the board, so lets say you leave 0.030 gap between the bottom of the inlay and the surface of the female pocket. Then you would set start depth at 0.15 and a cut depth of 0.020. See the Inlay.PNG file example.
  • In this case I might tighten up the gap on the bottom to slightly less, maybe 0.020 or 0.015

Image attached is what the male inlay looked like. I saved the aspire file too.

See if it works for you. Don't try an easier one. If you get it wrong, with an inlay you can cut it all again. Just don't take the female board off the table until you are happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inlay.jpg (19.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg test.jpg (10.7 KB, 46 views)
Attached Files
File Type: crv3d Judy Butterfly_2.crv3d (3.32 MB, 7 views)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:32 AM
CAMaster Owner

Since you have a couple that won't fit now, why not sand the inlay almost flat.

Pour some clear epoxy into the pocket
glue the inlay onto it so it sits proud,
remove the solid wood and look at where the inlay doesn't line up with the pocket.
Maybe that will provide an answer.
Thinking about it, you could also ink the inlay, lay it onto the pocket, and see where it doesn't line up.

Probably silly, but that's so complex I thought it might show where the issues are.
Todd
Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM
CAMaster Owner

Charlie,
Thank you very much for the advice. I will get out today and try your suggestions. I will post my results tonite, hopefully.

Todd,
Thats a pretty clever idea. If I cant make any progress I just may give that a whirl and see what happens.

I truly appreciate all the help/suggestions. Makes me so happy to be a Camaster owner & member of such a great forum.
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

Old 08-11-2018, 10:51 AM
CAMaster Owner

After trying Charlie's recommended changes I am getting much closer!
I did manage to get the two pieces to go together so I tried a glue up last night.
I will see how it looks later today.

One thing Im seeing is that the rendering by Aspire is not exactly matching the actual carving. For the mot part it is very accurate but the area in question is the tips of top wings. the rendering shows a much smaller profile that looks like it will sink into the pocket easily, but the actual carving is a bit wider and less tapered.
Any thoughts on that?
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com

Old 08-11-2018, 06:45 PM
Stinger II Owner

Joe,
I'm not understanding your point. Seems like the tips of the male are larger than the female and will not go too deep. I must be missing the point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg male.jpg (10.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg female.jpg (9.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
Joe,
I'm not understanding your point. Seems like the tips of the male are larger than the female and will not go too deep. I must be missing the point.
The two Aspire renderings look great. When I actually cut the piece the actual inlay was not quite shaped (at least at the top wing tips) like the rendering. The flat surface on the actual cut was wider than the rendering.

But....it may be a moot point. Like you recommended I kept tinkering with the settings and I have an inlay I just finished in the clamps. Im very encouraged as it went together with hardly any pressure, just slight clamping to keep it all snug over nite. I should have it all planed down sometime tomorrow afternoon.
Fingers crossed!
FTC
Laser Pointer
HSD 1.7kw Spindle
Indexing Lathe
WinCNC
Aspire 9
trommlerjg@gmail.com