CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > The Water Cooler

Old 10-12-2018, 11:09 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
it also helps quell the competitive bullet points that read, "our gantries are steel, not that pesky aluminum stuff".
I asked about the steel vs aluminum issue when I was there too. Sounded like the impetus for changing was mostly market driven and not performance related.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:02 PM
CAMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd W View Post
I asked about the steel vs aluminum issue when I was there too. Sounded like the impetus for changing was mostly market driven and not performance related.
The redesign was not marketing driven. Performance is significantly higher in almost every measurable aspect including rapid traverse speed which is at 2,000 IPM and cut speed which can get up to 1,000 IPM depending on the spindle size, application, material, bit etc..
Old 10-15-2018, 02:00 PM
CAMaster Owner

Thanks Tom. Can you explain the comment "including rapid traverse speed which is at 2,000 IPM and cut speed which can get up to 1,000 IPM depending on the spindle"?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM
CAMaster Owner

I'll take a stab at your questions, Tim. Rapids are movements that purely reposition the gantry and spindle for whatever comes next. 2000ipm is "really darn fast". Hit the "park" button on your own machine or send the spindle to the FTC for a measurement and you'll experience that faster movement, for example, at least to the capability of your own machine. For cutting, the effective speed is governed by type of material, geometry of the cutter and the speed it's turning and the depth of cut as well as how far the cut needs to move before there's a change and the complexity of the path. What Thomas is saying is that the new generation of the Panther can achieve cutting speeds as high as 1000ipm...but the unsaid piece lies behind the words "as high as" because as noted, it depends on what you are doing. 1000ipm is pretty impressive for a machine that is so competitively priced.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us

Last edited by Jim_in_PA; 10-15-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM
CAMaster Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Tristan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
I'll take a stab at your questions, Tim. Rapids are movements that purely reposition the gantry and spindle for whatever comes next. 2000ipm is "really darn fast". Hit the "park" button on your own machine or send the spindle to the FTC for a measurement and you'll experience that faster movement, for example, at least to the capability of your own machine. For cutting, the effective speed is governed by type of material, geometry of the cutter and the speed it's turning and the depth of cut as well as how far the cut needs to move before there's a change and the complexity of the path. What Thomas is saying is that the new generation of the Panther can achieve cutting speeds as high as 1000ipm...but the unsaid piece lies behind the words "as high as" because as noted, it depends on what you are doing. 1000ipm is pretty impressive for a machine that is so competitively priced.
Jip, the 2000ipm is the positioning speeds, dont try and cut at those speeds, unless you are cutting butter, even then, there will be more around the machine and the walls than on the table. Cutting speeds is really down to experience, and getting a feel for what you can do with which cutter and what material you are machining. If I am machining a new material that I have not done before, I generally go with a slower machining speed and speed up as I go, and listen to what the cutter s telling me. When she screams, its normally a bit too close or past the red line. Obviously the condition (sharpness) of the cutter also plays a role.
Believe me, the faster positioning speeds does speed up production alot. If I compare my Cobra to my Elite, the machining speeds are the same on both machines,, but if I run the same program on both machines at the same time, my Elite finishes way before the Cobra... Absolute dream.

CAMaster Cobra CR-609 ATC
2018 CAMaster Elite CR-609 ATC

WINCNC
Enroute 4 and Aspire v8 Design Software
AutoCAD, Autosketch, Sketchup

Razor CNC
Mach3
Aspire v8

"Sawdust means Work in Progress"
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
CAMhead Friend

Tristan . . . don't know what kind of work you run but will guess that reduced machining time (old Cobra v. new Cobra) is due to both increased IPM but also (and possibly primarily due to) increased acceleration/deceleration rates?

I spend most of my time around a 5 year old Stinger 2 but have also spent some time around Cobras and the Elite . . . I learned pretty quickly to mind myself around the Elite . . . you can't out of the way of the gantry quick enough.

IMHO, IPM means little if your work requires a machine that rarely achieves top IPM. For my work, acceleration/deceleration is a much more relevant spec. and is more often the limiting spec. re. machining time . . . and, on a side note, probably why software machining time sim. duration times can be/are often inaccurate.

Hate to make things more complicated for the Sales/Marketing folks by adding another spec. to "plug" but unless your work is LeMans/Daytona/Indy/Talladega top speed-centric, acceleration/deceleration and cornering probably is more important .

Anyway, like with cars/motorbikes, top end ain't everything.

SR-44 with FTC, Lathe, 3KW Spindle
Fusion 360, Solidworks, Aspire, Sketchup
Old Today, 04:18 AM
CAMaster Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Tristan

Paul, we do mostly cutouts (Coffin and Casket Lids etc), and the feedspeed while cutting is the same on both my machines. The timesaving comes in when the head does its rapid moves to the next lid. There is almost no acceleration time, the Elite just moves with speed. Where the Cobra takes 2-3 seconds to get to its next point, the Elite takes half a second or so. She is DAMN fast. Like you said, you have learnt to stay clear of the Elite.

CAMaster Cobra CR-609 ATC
2018 CAMaster Elite CR-609 ATC

WINCNC
Enroute 4 and Aspire v8 Design Software
AutoCAD, Autosketch, Sketchup

Razor CNC
Mach3
Aspire v8

"Sawdust means Work in Progress"