CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Go Back   CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC > The Water Cooler > New Forum Members

Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 PM
CAMaster Owner

I don't think is so much the quality of the tape as it is the nature of the tape...it's a flexible material with an adhesive applied on both sides. Stress is going to affect things at some point. If you choose to go this route, using some mechanical fasteners on the perimeter as I mentioned previously might mitigate that potential for movement.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 10-12-2018, 04:57 PM
CAMaster Owner

Yup, thereís going to be glue and/or screws. The tape didnít hold the spoilboard down overnight. I stood on the spoilsboard to flatten it down again. :p
Aspire
Old 10-12-2018, 05:19 PM
CAMaster Owner

That's important information because for those times when you are not using vacuum, that spoil board still needs to stay down and be flat.

SR-44 (2018), 1.7kw spindle, Performance Premium, USB, Keypad, T-Slot table (y-axis configuration), WinCNC, VCarve Pro

Non CNC stuff...

SCM/Minimax - slider/JP/BS
Festool "a good collection"
Stubby - lathe
Oneida Cyclone
more...

Retired from full time work in the telecom industry 9/2017
Commission work for equestrian tack storage and other custom furniture and cabinetry
Located Bucks County PA
http://bvww.us
Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 AM
CAMaster Owner

I went to Lowes Hardware last Friday, and bought some PVC fittings. Naturally, they didn't have an adapter with a 3" female connector on one side, and 3" threaded male connector on the other. But they did have one with a 3" threaded male on one side and kind of a 3" male on the other. But it wasn't really meant to be used like that - there were tabs. But I have this lathe... So I mounted it, jogged Z, and turned on the spindle and manually typed A and Y commands. I then sanded with the rotary spinning. And came out with this:
IMG_7017.jpg

And while I haven't glued anything yet, here's the final result. Thanks again, JP!
IMG_7026.jpg
The on/off switch locations are a little inconvenient, as is looking at the vacuum gauge.

I will say the Cyclone runs hot. And loud. Really loud. I don't know how much use it's going to get.

I already have enough of a problem keeping my shop cool when running the Dust Collector for hours - it ends up pumping a lot of warm air into the shop. The basement heat pump can't keep up. I've pre-cooled the basement and workshop to 72. After 3 hours, the workshop works it way up to 76 while the basement is at 70, and the air conditioner doesn't stop. I can't vent outside, because of noise in a residential neighborhood. The noise on the first floor is fine, because I insulated the internal walls of my shop, and the closet that has the DC. I may look into perhaps using one of my Festool vacs sometimes with the CNC machine instead.
Aspire
Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 AM
CAMaster Owner

You could try piping the vacuum exhaust into the dc closet. I don't know how much that will help but it has to help some with the noise.

You could also put the whole thing in withe the dc if there is room, then pipe the vacuum to the table.

I have a 30Kbtu minisplit in my shop and the tool heat isn't an issue.
You could look into a system for just your shop.

I bought this to help with the noise.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old 10-16-2018, 12:04 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The real JP View Post
You could try piping the vacuum exhaust into the dc closet. I don't know how much that will help but it has to help some with the noise.

You could also put the whole thing in withe the dc if there is room, then pipe the vacuum to the table.
Unfortunately, those are not really an option with the layout of my shop.

I may look into getting another cooling system just for the shop.

Quote:
I bought this to help with the noise.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LOL! I already have ear protectors. Between the loss of hearing in certain frequencies - probably due to tools - and the tinnitus, I tend to wear ear protection when in the shop.
Aspire
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
Stinger I Owner

for the exhaust use a length of 2 inch fiberglass pipe insulation. run the exhaust pipe in about 1 to 2 inches into the insulation and then put a short piece again about 1 to 2 inches with a 45* elbow out the other end. use silicone caulk to hold both into the insulation. THERE IS NO PIPE THROUGH THE INSULATION!!! the insulation will muffle the noise down considerable. you're making the old glasspak mufflers for hotrods if you're old enough to remember them. I'll try and post pictures if I can find them I made for a company I use to work for.
1.7 kw spindle
Digit. Probe, laser pointer,Aspire,WinCNC
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom klass View Post
for the exhaust use a length of 2 inch fiberglass pipe insulation. run the exhaust pipe in about 1 to 2 inches into the insulation and then put a short piece again about 1 to 2 inches with a 45* elbow out the other end. use silicone caulk to hold both into the insulation. THERE IS NO PIPE THROUGH THE INSULATION!!! the insulation will muffle the noise down considerable. you're making the old glasspak mufflers for hotrods if you're old enough to remember them. I'll try and post pictures if I can find them I made for a company I use to work for.
Thanks Tom. I've googled those mufflers. I'll look for the exhaust port tonight. I know the Cyclone documentation has a warning that only pipes that can handle heat should be connected to the exhaust.
Aspire
Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
CAMaster Owner

Put a semi muffler on it.

Nice chrome stack sticking up beside the table....

Industrial electrician by day, Cabinet and furniture maker by evening and weekend. Cnc newb.

June 2017 Stinger 3 SR48
3kw spindle, FTC, Laser, Recoil, Hurricane
V Carve, Mozaik
Old Today, 09:36 AM
CAMaster Owner

Quote:
Put a semi muffler on it.

Nice chrome stack sticking up beside the table....
LOL! Soup it up, baby!

I thought I remembered the exhaust port as being rectangular. And it is. Cutting threads will be hard. :p. So I guess I'd have to bend some sheet metal and make a custom manifold that would be glued it. Probably not going to happen. :/
Aspire